ANNOUNCEMENT: New SQL Server security tool - SQL Server 2000 Scan Tool

ANNOUNCEMENT: New SQL Server security tool - SQL Server 2000 Scan Tool

Post by Euan Garden[MS » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:03:03

SQL Server 2000 SQL Scan Tool (SQL Scan)
This utility scans an individual computer, a Windows domain, or a range of
IP addresses for instances of SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000, and identifies
instances that may be vulnerable to the Slammer worm. SQL Scan runs on
computers running Windows 2000 or higher and can identify instances running
on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/securitytools.asp

Please direct any questions you have on this tool to
microsoft.public.sqlserver.securitytools or to Microsoft Product Support
Services.

--
-Euan

Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit. When posting,
please state the version of SQL Server being used and the error number/exact
error message text received, if any.

ANNOUNCEMENT: New SQL Server security tool - SQL Server 2000 Scan Tool

Post by Karl Levinson [x y] mv » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:58:20

Is there any chance Microsoft might program a tool that does not require
administrator permission on the remote machine to scan?  Something like the
free eeye.com scanner?  I suppose there might be legal reasons why Microsoft
would not want to program something like this... however, this limitation
makes this tool not usable in our large environment.

Quote:> SQL Server 2000 SQL Scan Tool (SQL Scan)
> This utility scans an individual computer, a Windows domain, or a range of
> IP addresses for instances of SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000, and
identifies
> instances that may be vulnerable to the Slammer worm. SQL Scan runs on
> computers running Windows 2000 or higher and can identify instances
running
> on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/securitytools.asp

> Please direct any questions you have on this tool to
> microsoft.public.sqlserver.securitytools or to Microsoft Product Support
> Services.

> --
> -Euan

> Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit. When
posting,
> please state the version of SQL Server being used and the error
number/exact
> error message text received, if any.

rights.

---

Post by MS Securit » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:03:31

> SQL Server 2000 SQL Scan Tool (SQL Scan)
> This utility scans an individual computer, a Windows domain, or a range of
> IP addresses for instances of SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000, and identifies
> instances that may be vulnerable to the Slammer worm. SQL Scan runs on
> computers running Windows 2000 or higher and can identify instances running
> on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/securitytools.asp

> Please direct any questions you have on this tool to
> microsoft.public.sqlserver.securitytools or to Microsoft Product Support
> Services.

> --
> -Euan

> Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit. When posting,
> please state the version of SQL Server being used and the error number/exact
> error message text received, if any.

We already know nothing from Redmond confers any warranties or rights,
it in the EULA.

How long til this security tool breaks something.  I mean it had to have
serveral hours of testing at least.

Post by MS Securit » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:03:31

> SQL Server 2000 SQL Scan Tool (SQL Scan)
> This utility scans an individual computer, a Windows domain, or a range of
> IP addresses for instances of SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000, and identifies
> instances that may be vulnerable to the Slammer worm. SQL Scan runs on
> computers running Windows 2000 or higher and can identify instances running
> on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/securitytools.asp

> Please direct any questions you have on this tool to
> microsoft.public.sqlserver.securitytools or to Microsoft Product Support
> Services.

> --
> -Euan

> Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit. When posting,
> please state the version of SQL Server being used and the error number/exact
> error message text received, if any.

We already know nothing from Redmond confers any warranties or rights,
it in the EULA.

How long til this security tool breaks something.  I mean it had to have
serveral hours of testing at least.

1. Announcement of new Free tool for SQL Server 2000

Hello,
I have just finished development of a new tool for SQL Server 2000
SQL Server Extended Properties Editor (SEPE)

This tool allows you to maintain extended properties, on all objects that
support them, on SQL Server 2000 systems.

This tool is free for use.

The URL for more information and downloading is
http://www.ag-software.com/ags_Sepe.asp

Any feedback would be nice.

--
kind regards
Greg O MCSD

P.S. I am going to post this message twice, once today and once tomorrow

2. dbstart at boot time

3. SQL Server 7 DTS amended by SQL Server 2000 Tools

4. Paradox in a Routed Environment

5. SQL Server 2000 client tools on a 7.0 server

6. Filtering the grid

7. Upgrading SQL 7 tool kit to SQL 2000 tool kit error

8. Oracle error code 72

9. sql server 2000 tools w/sql 7 databases

10. SQL 2000 Tools and SQL 7 Servers

11. Migrate from Old SQL 2000 server to a New SQL 2000 server

12. SQL Server 2000 DBA Tools

13. SQL Server 2000 tools