SnapShot Delivery Problems Via FTP - MDAC 2.6/7 and MSDE 2.0

SnapShot Delivery Problems Via FTP - MDAC 2.6/7 and MSDE 2.0

Post by Toby » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:14:36

Hi,

We currently use merge replication as a part of our
software product.  We have approx 130 individual
subscribers with anonymous pull subscriptions at various
locations in Australia and New Zealand.  The subscribers
use TCP/IP over the internet for replication, via a
variety of connections eg Dial Up, DSL, Cable etc.

The Publisher is SQL2000 SP1 and subscribers are MSDE 1.0
SP3.

We are planning to upgrade the subscribers to MSDE 2.0 to
benefit from the performance gains.

In our testing when we have upgraded the clients to
MSDE2.0 and created new subscriptions to a new
publication, any client that is not on the local LAN
generates the following error - i.e all 130 subscribers

1. Intializing
2. Connecting to Publisher
3. Bulk Copying Data into 'sysmergesubsetfilters'
4. Process could not deliver snapshot to subscriber

If we use the local LAN and not a dial up connection the
error is not generated.

Moreover if the snapshot is delivered via the LAN, we can
use a dial up account to replicate with no problems.

We think it is one of the replication components trying to
do a reverse DNS lookup for the location of the FTP server
where the snapshot files are located.

We have read KB article (Q300420) and implemented the
suggestions with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toby

SnapShot Delivery Problems Via FTP - MDAC 2.6/7 and MSDE 2.0

Post by John Gose [M » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:11:56

Toby,

On one of the subscribers, get it on the net and add -output c:\agent.txt
-outputverboselevel 3
to the job associated with the merge agent.

Disconnect it from the LAN and try resynching.

Remove the parameters.

Take a look at the agent.txt on the root of the c: drive.  Should provide
more information than cannot deliver.....

John Gose
MCDBA
Microsoft SQL Server Support

This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

--------------------

| Subject: SnapShot Delivery Problems Via FTP - MDAC 2.6/7 and MSDE 2.0
| Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:14:36 -0800

<Snip of Header Stuff>

| Hi,
|
| We currently use merge replication as a part of our
| software product.  We have approx 130 individual
| subscribers with anonymous pull subscriptions at various
| locations in Australia and New Zealand.  The subscribers
| use TCP/IP over the internet for replication, via a
| variety of connections eg Dial Up, DSL, Cable etc.
|
| The Publisher is SQL2000 SP1 and subscribers are MSDE 1.0
| SP3.
|
| We are planning to upgrade the subscribers to MSDE 2.0 to
| benefit from the performance gains.
|
| In our testing when we have upgraded the clients to
| MSDE2.0 and created new subscriptions to a new
| publication, any client that is not on the local LAN
| generates the following error - i.e all 130 subscribers
|

| 1. Intializing
| 2. Connecting to Publisher
| 3. Bulk Copying Data into 'sysmergesubsetfilters'
| 4. Process could not deliver snapshot to subscriber
|
| If we use the local LAN and not a dial up connection the
| error is not generated.
|
| Moreover if the snapshot is delivered via the LAN, we can
| use a dial up account to replicate with no problems.
|
| We think it is one of the replication components trying to
| do a reverse DNS lookup for the location of the FTP server
| where the snapshot files are located.
|
| We have read KB article (Q300420) and implemented the
| suggestions with no luck.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Toby

1. snapshot delivery via ftp

I am doing some testing for some replication scenarios that I will be using
in the coming weeks.

I have two servers replicating via tcp/ip. I am using ftp to deliver the
snapshots. If Server A is the publisher, everything goes well. If Server B
is the publisher, I get a very strage error message when trying to receive
the snapshot.

Category:AGENT
Source:  RSNLINCOLN
Number:  0
Message: The process could not connect to FTP site
'??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????' using
port 21.

Obviously that is not the IP address of my ftp server! I have the correct ip
entered as xxx.xx.xxx.xxx and everything setup just the same as the other
direction. I can ftp the address just fine with an ftp client.

Any ideas?

2. SQL configuration

3. MSDE service problem with MDAC 2.6

4. Please tell me about the '.MDX'

5. snapshot ftp delivery error in merge replication

6. Exporting database to T-SQL?

7. MDAC 2.6 on the Server and MDAC 2.1 on the Client - Big Problems

8. ODBC Client

9. Reappyling Snapshot MSDE2.0 via FTP

10. Merge Dynamic Snapshots - transferring via the internet (FTP)

11. Snapshot replication via ftp