NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Dave Fric » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the following
attributes:
    no password
    password never expires
    cannot change password
    member of local administrators group on SQL Server
    right to log on as a server.

Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get the
message:

    "A required privilege is not held by the client"

What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server service?

I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

Thanks
Dave

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

 Dave - run as a service privilege.

 > I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the following

Quote:> attributes:
>     no password
>     password never expires
>     cannot change password
>     member of local administrators group on SQL Server
>     right to log on as a server.

> Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get the
> message:

>     "A required privilege is not held by the client"

> What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server service?

> I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

> Thanks
> Dave

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Yih-Yoon L » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Dave,
Books online has some good information regarding this.  Check the article:

Creating SQL Server Services User Accounts

under Books Online.

Yih-Yoon Lee, MCSE
Microsoft SQL Server Support

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by C. E. Buttle » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Needs three main things:

Logon as a service
Logon locally
Administrator privileges

When you run setup, it will ask you for the administrator account and then
give it all the privileges it needs.  All you have to do is have an
administrative account prior to installation or running setup.

Quote:> I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the
following
> attributes:
>     no password
>     password never expires
>     cannot change password
>     member of local administrators group on SQL Server
>     right to log on as a server.

> Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get the
> message:

>     "A required privilege is not held by the client"

> What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server service?

> I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

> Thanks
> Dave

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Jaime McGeath » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

logon on a service only show up as an option if you select advanced
priviledges (something along that line).

Jaime

> Needs three main things:

> Logon as a service
> Logon locally
> Administrator privileges

> When you run setup, it will ask you for the administrator account and then
> give it all the privileges it needs.  All you have to do is have an
> administrative account prior to installation or running setup.

> > I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the
> following
> > attributes:
> >     no password
> >     password never expires
> >     cannot change password
> >     member of local administrators group on SQL Server
> >     right to log on as a server.

> > Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get the
> > message:

> >     "A required privilege is not held by the client"

> > What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server service?

> > I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

> > Thanks
> > Dave

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Andy » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

We are experiencing the same problem.
I have a Domain Acct (SQLSvcAcct) which has local admin rights on the SQL
Box (SQLBox).
In addition, the acct SQLSvcAcct has domain Log On as a Service, Log on
Locally rights, the password does not expire.

When attempting to start the SQL Server w/ this acct I get the message "A
Required Privilege is not held by the client" (thanks MS for being
specific!)

I have attempted to start the service up as the domain admin acct also and
this also produced the same error. To test the client priviliges I started
up the Spooler Service as this acct and it successfully started.

So is this a problem w/ SQL or a problem w/ the domain rights?
I'm out of ideas on this machine anyone who has experienced this problem,
please reply!!! (thanks)

Quote:> Dave - run as a service privilege.

>  > I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the
following
> > attributes:
> >     no password
> >     password never expires
> >     cannot change password
> >     member of local administrators group on SQL Server
> >     right to log on as a server.

> > Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get the
> > message:

> >     "A required privilege is not held by the client"

> > What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server service?

> > I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

> > Thanks
> > Dave

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(sqlfaq.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

 Andy - also set the right for obtaining tokens/quota's - can't remember the
exact name off the top of my head.

 > We are experiencing the same problem.

> I have a Domain Acct (SQLSvcAcct) which has local admin rights on the SQL
> Box (SQLBox).
> In addition, the acct SQLSvcAcct has domain Log On as a Service, Log on
> Locally rights, the password does not expire.

> When attempting to start the SQL Server w/ this acct I get the message "A
> Required Privilege is not held by the client" (thanks MS for being
> specific!)

> I have attempted to start the service up as the domain admin acct also and
> this also produced the same error. To test the client priviliges I started
> up the Spooler Service as this acct and it successfully started.

> So is this a problem w/ SQL or a problem w/ the domain rights?
> I'm out of ideas on this machine anyone who has experienced this problem,
> please reply!!! (thanks)

> > Dave - run as a service privilege.

> >  > I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the
> following
> > > attributes:
> > >     no password
> > >     password never expires
> > >     cannot change password
> > >     member of local administrators group on SQL Server
> > >     right to log on as a server.

> > > Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get the
> > > message:

> > >     "A required privilege is not held by the client"

> > > What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server service?

> > > I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

> > > Thanks
> > > Dave

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> >  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
> >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (sqlfaq.zip - L7
> > - SQL Public)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Something like

Increate Quotas
Replace a process level token
... and possibly something else. Doc'd in Books Online.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Andy - also set the right for obtaining tokens/quota's - can't remember the
> exact name off the top of my head.

>  > We are experiencing the same problem.
> > I have a Domain Acct (SQLSvcAcct) which has local admin rights on the SQL
> > Box (SQLBox).
> > In addition, the acct SQLSvcAcct has domain Log On as a Service, Log on
> > Locally rights, the password does not expire.

> > When attempting to start the SQL Server w/ this acct I get the message "A
> > Required Privilege is not held by the client" (thanks MS for being
> > specific!)

> > I have attempted to start the service up as the domain admin acct also and
> > this also produced the same error. To test the client priviliges I started
> > up the Spooler Service as this acct and it successfully started.

> > So is this a problem w/ SQL or a problem w/ the domain rights?
> > I'm out of ideas on this machine anyone who has experienced this problem,
> > please reply!!! (thanks)

> > > Dave - run as a service privilege.

> > >  > I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the
> > following

> > >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> > >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> > >  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
> > >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> > (sqlfaq.zip - L7
> > > - SQL Public)
> > >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> > >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> > >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

NT Account for SQL Server Service

Post by Tony Rogerso » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Try setting the service account through Enterprise Manager and not control
panel ... services.

--
Tony Rogerson SQL Server MVP
Torver Computer Consultants Ltd

> We are experiencing the same problem.
> I have a Domain Acct (SQLSvcAcct) which has local admin rights on the SQL
> Box (SQLBox).
> In addition, the acct SQLSvcAcct has domain Log On as a Service, Log on
> Locally rights, the password does not expire.

> When attempting to start the SQL Server w/ this acct I get the message "A
> Required Privilege is not held by the client" (thanks MS for being
> specific!)

> I have attempted to start the service up as the domain admin acct also and
> this also produced the same error. To test the client priviliges I started
> up the Spooler Service as this acct and it successfully started.

> So is this a problem w/ SQL or a problem w/ the domain rights?
> I'm out of ideas on this machine anyone who has experienced this problem,
> please reply!!! (thanks)

> > Dave - run as a service privilege.

> >  > I created an account in NT to run the SQL Server Service with the
> following
> > > attributes:
> > >     no password
> > >     password never expires
> > >     cannot change password
> > >     member of local administrators group on SQL Server
> > >     right to log on as a server.

> > > Yet when I try to assign this as the startup service account, I get
the
> > > message:

> > >     "A required privilege is not held by the client"

> > > What do I need to do to create an NT account for the SQL Server
service?

> > > I am running SS7/SP1 on NTWS 4.0/SP6a.

> > > Thanks
> > > Dave

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> >  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
> >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (sqlfaq.zip - L7
> > - SQL Public)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. Local System Account or Domain Account For SQL Server Service

For SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on Windows 2000 Advanced
Server, should we use the local system account to run the SQL Server
Service, or a Windows domain account?  I understand some of the
benefits of using a domain account for the agent e.g. SQL Mail,
although this is not supported for SQL Server clusters, but am
clueless when it comes to the server service.

Also, are there some security issues with using the local system
account?  Can a stored procedure writer use xp_cmd to do something
nasty, like format C:\ ?  If so, what kind of privs do you need to
give to your domain account?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Ken

2. unwanted BAK files

3. Changing service account for the Cluster andSQL service account

4. brief explanation

5. SQL Services NT account password change

6. Refresh causes lockup!!!

7. NODE 2 SQL SERVER FAILS AFTER CHANGING SQL SERVICE ACCOUNT

8. Team IBM is Looking for You! Openings in the Boston, Chicago, NYC and Midwest Area

9. SQL Server, NT Services, and Error 10025 (write to SQL Server failed)

10. NT account and SQL account

11. SQL Server Service Account Password Change

12. Does master db store the SQL server services account information

13. SQL Server Service Account