Users to Logins?

Post by Adam » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:16:41

Hi All

I was wondering i have imported a database from another computer, and i have
all the users for the database.  Is there a easy way getting SQL Server
Logons for all those users?

Thanks

Adam

Users to Logins?

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:41:46

Not sure exactly what your looking for but here are some KB's related to
moving Db's and users:
Q246133   INF: How To Transfer Logins and Passwords Between SQL Servers
Q298897   Mapping Logins & SIDs after a Restore
Q168001   PRB: User Logon and/or Permission Errors After Restoring Dump
Q240872   How to Resolve Permission Issues When a Database Is Moved Between
SQL Servers

--
Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Targitinteractive, Inc.

Quote:> Hi All

> I was wondering i have imported a database from another computer, and i
have
> all the users for the database.  Is there a easy way getting SQL Server
> Logons for all those users?

> Thanks

> Adam

1. How to script users and logins?

I have tried scripting logins and users including passwords using tips
from another post, but it does not work...
What happens is that I get this error message:

"Server: Msg 259, Level 16, State 2, Line 6
Ad hoc updates to system catalogs are not enabled. The system
administrator must reconfigure SQL Server to allow this."

The database server is an MSDE which I have just installed on an NT WS
machine (using an MSDE package I downloaded from Microsoft today) and
it contains no data yet, only a newly created empty database.

Is there some sp_xxxx that I need to execute before I start adding
logins?
I suspect that the script fails on a line like this:
UPDATE sysxlogins SET password = 0x213245617181....53A,...

Any ideas?

Bo Berglund

PGP: My public key is available at the following locations:
Idap://certserver.pgp.com
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

2. Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an

3. Users and Logins

4. Ultrix/SQL and Ingres tools

5. Users vs Logins

6. Interbase Insert Help!