Licensing question?

Post by Pavlo » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:37:30

Can someone help me better understand SQL 2k licensing?  We have one SQL
server running 12+ processes.  Should I install SQL2000 Standard with 10
CALs vs. SQL 2000 Standard per processor?  Literature states that a CAL is
required for each device.  What the heck does that mean?  What does SQL
consider a device?  Would each process that hits the database be considered
a device?  Or is a device still a workstation?  In which case 10 CALs allow
10 simultaneous connections without error?

Why does M$ make the licensing so difficult to understand?

Thanks,
Pav

Licensing question?

Post by Brian Mora » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 05:12:32

in your case a device essentially means any physical machine a user sits
down at (or app is installed on) that interacts with the DB.

If they all go through a single IIS box... then you still count the
downstream 'device' as the PC....

--

Brian Moran
SQL Server MVP

I proudly support the PASS SQL Server user community and its upcoming user
event,  PASS 2001 North America.

For details, visit www.sqlpass.org

Quote:> Can someone help me better understand SQL 2k licensing?  We have one SQL
> server running 12+ processes.  Should I install SQL2000 Standard with 10
> CALs vs. SQL 2000 Standard per processor?  Literature states that a CAL is
> required for each device.  What the heck does that mean?  What does SQL
> consider a device?  Would each process that hits the database be
considered
> a device?  Or is a device still a workstation?  In which case 10 CALs
allow
> 10 simultaneous connections without error?

> Why does M$ make the licensing so difficult to understand?

> Thanks,
> Pav

Licensing question?

Post by way0utwes » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 05:51:36

Actually, I believe the differentiation is authenticated as part of your
company or not, if I understand the licensing.

If you use a single device (IIS server) that services internet pages, then
you must choose per processor licensing. If you use a single device (IIS
server) that services intranet pages to people in your company, then you can
use the CPU option or you can get CALs for all users.

> in your case a device essentially means any physical machine a user sits
> down at (or app is installed on) that interacts with the DB.

> If they all go through a single IIS box... then you still count the
> downstream 'device' as the PC....

> --

> Brian Moran
> SQL Server MVP
> SQL Server Magazine Columnist

> I proudly support the PASS SQL Server user community and its upcoming user
> event,  PASS 2001 North America.

> For details, visit www.sqlpass.org

> > Can someone help me better understand SQL 2k licensing?  We have one SQL
> > server running 12+ processes.  Should I install SQL2000 Standard with 10
> > CALs vs. SQL 2000 Standard per processor?  Literature states that a CAL
is
> > required for each device.  What the heck does that mean?  What does SQL
> > consider a device?  Would each process that hits the database be
> considered
> > a device?  Or is a device still a workstation?  In which case 10 CALs
> allow
> > 10 simultaneous connections without error?

> > Why does M$ make the licensing so difficult to understand?

> > Thanks,
> > Pav

Licensing question?

Post by Ron Talmag » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:06:49

Pav,

You're not the first to be confused. There is a chapter in the SQL Server
2000 Resource Kit describing licensing, and it provides a simple decision
matrix.

Ron
--
Ron Talmage
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Can someone help me better understand SQL 2k licensing?  We have one SQL
> server running 12+ processes.  Should I install SQL2000 Standard with 10
> CALs vs. SQL 2000 Standard per processor?  Literature states that a CAL is
> required for each device.  What the heck does that mean?  What does SQL
> consider a device?  Would each process that hits the database be
considered
> a device?  Or is a device still a workstation?  In which case 10 CALs
allow
> 10 simultaneous connections without error?

> Why does M$ make the licensing so difficult to understand?

> Thanks,
> Pav

1. License Question

Our application uses SQL server as the back end and one of our
customers was wondering if they needed to have cals for our
application specifically.

As I understand it they already have an application that requires SQL
Server and the seats that will be using our application already have
cals.  Will these cals work for our application as well or will they
need a sperate cal for each application that connects to SQL Server?
If they can use the same cal then would they only be able to run one
application at a time, or does the cal grant that seat the right to
connect to that SQL server regardless of the number of connections
that seat instantiates.  Sorry if this is a dumb question the guy who
usually deals with these licensing issues is out and I can't get in
touch with him.

--
Regards,
Bill Lucas

2. Need SQL Help

3. License question with MSSQL 7.0

4. Terminal services and 9.20

5. Licensing question

6. SQL Falls Over

7. Licensing question: MSDE + SQL Server client tools

8. Need a bit of code to return drive letter.

9. Licensing Question

10. Licensing Question - Internet Connector

11. License Question - Please answer ASAP!!!

12. License question

13. Licensing question