Transaction Backup Failures

Post by B. Griswol » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:15:47

I have two servers (SQL 7, sp2; NT4, sp 6a) that are failing to backup the
transaction logs nightly. Occasionally they work, but I don't know for sure
unless I look for the *.trn file. Usually there is nothing written to disk as it
should be. I have deleted the maint plans and recreated -- made no difference.

All other backup jobs are running fine on these servers.

Kicking off the job manually sometimes works, but other times produces the same
results as the scheduled job. See log entry below (DBCC runs, old log files are
deleted, but that's it):

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version Logged on to SQL
Server 'Myserver' as 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' (trusted)
Starting maintenance plan 'Mydb' on Mon Jun 04 18:29:38 2001

[1] Database MyStarWars: Check Data and Index Linkage...

    ** Execution Time: 0 hrs, 0 mins, 43 secs **

[2] Database MyStarWars: Delete Old Backup Files...
    0 file(s) deleted.

Deleting old text reports...    1 file(s) deleted.

End of maintenance plan 'Mydb' on Mon Jun 04 18:30:21 2001

SQLMAINT.EXE Process Exit Code: 0 (Success)

This is very frustrating. This jobs worked for months then started acting
erratically sometime in the last month. I cannot correlate any event with this
failure to backup.

In help/suggestions are greatly appreciated,

TIA,

B. Griswold

1. transaction log backup failure HELP!

I'm getting this error:
Am new to sqlserver and primary support is gone:

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility, Version 6.50.240
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation, 1995 - 1996

Logged on to SQL Server 'PHXNTA02' as 'sa' (trusted)
Starting maintenance of database 'PB_Scanning' on Fri May

[1] Transaction Log Backup...

Destination: 'D:\MSSQL\LogDump\PB_Scanning_log_dump.2003050
20200'
[Microsoft SQL-DMO] Error 1105: [SQL Server] Can't
allocate space for object 'Syslogs' in
database 'PB_Scanning' because the 'logsegment' segment is
full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or
sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment.

    ** Execution Time: 0 hrs, 15 mins, 23 secs **

[2] Delete Old Backup Files...
    0 file(s) deleted.

End of maintenance for database 'PB_Scanning' on Fri May

SQLMAINT.EXE Process Exit Code: 1 (Failed)

2. Provider String to connect to Outlook Address Book

3. Transaction Log Backup failure

4. US-MN INFORMIX Expertise Needed

5. Master/MSDB Transaction Log Backup Failures

6. NETTYPE and sqlhosts workings

7. Transaction Log Backup Failure

8. starting server problem

9. Transaction log backup failure