access2000 -> msde/sql7.0

Post by Koldo Plaz » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:27:52

Asunto: problems converting Access2000 database to MSDE using the upsizing
wizard
Fecha: jueves, 07 de febrero de 2002 13:48

I have and and acess2000 database with about 100 tables, several indexes,
relations and so on that I want to convert to MSDE. My MsOffice and MSDE are
very updated with the newest service packs.

The "wizard" only works if I do not select to convert indexes and relations,
it only works if I just convert just the fields of the tables .

could you please answer me how to make the wizard to work? Please, it is
very urgent...

Thanks to everybody!!!!

Luis

access2000 -> msde/sql7.0

Post by Vadim Rap » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:43:22

Quote:> The "wizard" only works if I do not select to convert indexes and
relations,
> it only works if I just convert just the fields of the tables .

> could you please answer me how to make the wizard to work? Please, it is
> very urgent...

You will have to recreate the indexes and relationships manually :-(  The
bright side of this is that doing that, you'll get a chance to normalize
your database. Perhaps you'll find that of your 100 tables, only 20 or so
are really needed.

The upsizing wizard was improved in Access 2002, but I still doubt that it
would convert a database with 100 tables without a problem.

Vadim

access2000 -> msde/sql7.0

Post by Koldo Plaz » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:59:57

Thanks for the answer, but it doesn't help too much....

I do not have time to begin recreating the catalog while there is a wizard
in the product , I just want to know why the wizard doesn't give me any
error, it just hangs MsAccess!!!! I have try it in other installations but
it is the same, I have read the white papers of msdn looking if there was
any incompatibility of field types but it sayd that the wizard transform
them!!!

I am thinking about do a wizard my sef using ADO to read the database
catalog and create it in the sqlserver conection:

table by table,
    field by field,
    index by index
and at last relation by relation.

the same with the querys reading the text of each one and storing it if it
is a view.

if you have more advice it will be very wellcomed ;-)

Luis

Quote:> The "wizard" only works if I do not select to convert indexes and
relations,
> it only works if I just convert just the fields of the tables .

> could you please answer me how to make the wizard to work? Please, it is
> very urgent...

You will have to recreate the indexes and relationships manually :-(  The
bright side of this is that doing that, you'll get a chance to normalize
your database. Perhaps you'll find that of your 100 tables, only 20 or so
are really needed.

The upsizing wizard was improved in Access 2002, but I still doubt that it
would convert a database with 100 tables without a problem.

Vadim

access2000 -> msde/sql7.0

Post by Vadim Rap » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:48:18

another option might be contacting MS Support...

> Thanks for the answer, but it doesn't help too much....

> I do not have time to begin recreating the catalog while there is a wizard
> in the product , I just want to know why the wizard doesn't give me any
> error, it just hangs MsAccess!!!! I have try it in other installations but
> it is the same, I have read the white papers of msdn looking if there was
> any incompatibility of field types but it sayd that the wizard transform
> them!!!

> I am thinking about do a wizard my sef using ADO to read the database
> catalog and create it in the sqlserver conection:

> table by table,
>     field by field,
>     index by index
> and at last relation by relation.

> the same with the querys reading the text of each one and storing it if it
> is a view.

> if you have more advice it will be very wellcomed ;-)

> Luis

> > The "wizard" only works if I do not select to convert indexes and
> relations,
> > it only works if I just convert just the fields of the tables .

> > could you please answer me how to make the wizard to work? Please, it is
> > very urgent...

> You will have to recreate the indexes and relationships manually :-(  The
> bright side of this is that doing that, you'll get a chance to normalize
> your database. Perhaps you'll find that of your 100 tables, only 20 or so
> are really needed.

> The upsizing wizard was improved in Access 2002, but I still doubt that it
> would convert a database with 100 tables without a problem.

> Vadim

1. DTS problem SQL7->DTS->Excel->DTS->SQL7

I'm using DTS to export SQL data to an Excel file, let user make updates in
excel, then import back into SQL, deleting old data first.

Problem:
After user edits numeric cells in Excel, in DTS package/Preview shows new
values to be empty or null. Actual import shows same result where new values
in Excel become null in SQL.

I import same Excel file into an Access table. no problem.

2. MD-Gaithersburg-104529--PowerBuilder-ORACLE-MS SQL Server-SYBASE-Security Cleara

3. DTS - SQL7-->Oracle --> SQL7

4. OpenROAD HELP: IIW4GL_Open and IIW4GL_SendUserEvent

5. SQL7->Internet->SQL7?

6. OLE DB Provider Installation

7. Problem using LEFT via JDBC->ODBC->ACCESS2000

8. Need informix programmer

9. access2000-->odbc -->oracle 8i

10. Problem using LEFT via JDBC->ODBC->ACCESS2000

11. Upgrade MSDE/SQL7 to MSDE/SQL2000

12. Upgrading MSDE (sql7) to MSDE 2 (2000)

13. HOWTO : SQL7 Eval -> SQL7