BULK INSERT requires index recreation ?

Post by Linto Mathe » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:08:24

Hi All

We are doing a BULK INSERT from our front -end application developed in VC++. It
imports around 90,000 records into the Database.
Before issuing the BULK INSERT Command the SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON command used
for inserting the records into the primary key field. There is no other indexes
set on the table.

Whether the indexes to be recreated after the BULK INSERT Command ?

Thanks & Regards

Linto Mathew

BULK INSERT requires index recreation ?

Post by Brian Mora » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 05:30:32

You won't need to recreate the index, but you may want to run UPDATE
STATISTCS for the table or index.

--

Brian Moran
CrossTier

Hi All

We are doing a BULK INSERT from our front -end application developed in
VC++. It
imports around 90,000 records into the Database.
Before issuing the BULK INSERT Command the SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON command
used
for inserting the records into the primary key field. There is no other
set on the table.

Whether the indexes to be recreated after the BULK INSERT Command ?

Thanks & Regards

Linto Mathew

1. Error when bulk insert follows another large bulk insert

I am running a job out of MS SQL Enterprise Manager where the first step
turns off transaction logging, the 2nd step is a large bulk insert step,
and the 3rd step is another large bulk insert step.  I receive the
following error when executing the 3rd step.  Is this error occurring
because the database is still comitting data from the previous large bulk
insert at the same time as it is performing the next bulk insert?  If so,
is there a workaround?  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Error message from Step 3 (2nd bulk insert):
Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation
(such as CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized.
Reissue the statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or
file manipulation operation is completed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3023)
The statement has been terminated. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 3621).
The step failed.

2. EXEC a DTS JOB

3. Help on Bulk Insert required

4. Whats wrong with BCP syntax ?

5. Sysadmin role required for Bulk Insert

6. Demo database

7. Is there a need to rebuild indexes after bulk insert operation

8. Bulk Insert and index statistics

9. Build clustered index before or after bulk insert?

10. Index recreation takes long time

11. recreation of DBF indexes

12. newbie index recreation question