Edit/Store/Retrieve/Submit SQL Server Blobs via XML

Edit/Store/Retrieve/Submit SQL Server Blobs via XML

Post by obo » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:12:23

Hi all,

I'm looking for advices about designing a "document server"

application. I'm developing n-tiers solutions in VB and I need to

provide all my applications a way to retrieve, edit and store any

kind of documents as BLOBs in a SQL Database. These documents could

be either Word or Excel Documents, as well as large binary files or

images. I used to do that using "regular" client-server techniques

(ADO recordsets), but now that we've switched to a multi-tier

architecture, the client software does not have any mean to access

ADO methods. Following the strict rules of this architecture, my

client applications know only how to parse a XML document.

I'd like your advice about the following : I've built up a COM+ Data

Object which extracts the data from the BLOB (through a stored

procedure), saves it as XML in a stream (ADO 2.5) and sends it back

to the client as a string. On the client-side, I simply parse this

XML string and extract the "node.typedvalue" for the binary field. I

then decode it and serialize it on the local disk to let the user

access it. It works but I then face two major problems :

1) this way of proceeding is particularly slow and I don't really

see how I could improve it. The size of the XML document generated

by ADO is about twice to third bigger than the original binary file

(due to the non-binary encoding). I could rely on my own algorithms

to extract the BLOB and binary-encode it but I'm affraid it could be

even slower (?).

2) What could be the best way to do the contrary, i.e. upload a

local file to the server to store it into the database ? I was

thinking about finding a good encoding for the data before sending

it to the server as a string, but maybe it's not the most efficient

to way to proceed ?

Has anybody already done that before ? Any idea about the best

encoding / uploading techniques ? Do you see any flaw in the general

architecture I've just described ?

Thx for your helps and advices,

Olivier

Edit/Store/Retrieve/Submit SQL Server Blobs via XML

Post by Bryant Like » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 07:03:53

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm looking for advices about designing a "document server"

I would take a look at Microsoft SharePoint Portal...

http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/

It does exactly what you describe.

--
Bryant

1. Help with blobs and word (saving, retrieving and editing)

All....

I guess I thought that there would be more information out there on this
subject.

Of the millions of things that my application must do, one thing is that the
users want to store, retrieve and edit word files (hopefully I can have them
edit them in Word).  I am using designer/developer and Oracle 8 - we deploy
in a three teir using OWAS.

The reason for this requirement is simply that these word files are created
elsewhere but relate to the data that is in my application; by storing them
in the database we can manage revisions and security.

I am in the analysis stage now, so ANY ideas would be greatly
appreciated!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

scott felten

2. dumb sql question (fwd)

3. How store/retrieve BLOB in VB5 and SQl Server7

4. 7923-TX-Dallas-Visual Basic-C-C++-SYBASE-ORACLE-UNIX-Developer

5. Retrieving Blob data via OLE DB

6. Problem With Backup to Tape

7. How to retrieve Blob data via ODBC

8. are there plans for a threaded alternative to multiple

9. Retrieving BLOBs from ADABAS D via JDBC

10. Problem posting xml doc with BizTalk Server via Updategram to SQL Server

11. Passing IP address to sql server via SQL XML

12. Saving and retrieving BLOB w/ SQL Server

13. SQL XML Stored Procedure using XML Explicit Returing XML to ASP Page