Clustering SQL server at seperate locations?

Clustering SQL server at seperate locations?

Post by hyperWago » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to setup a SQL Server fail-over cluster at separate
locations.  Example:  having two servers in different cities staying in sync
over tcp/ip with automatic error detection and fail-over.

What would be preferred way of going about this? I can't seem to find a
direct answer on microsoft's site.

Thanks

-djm

*remove _nospam_ for direct reply

Clustering SQL server at seperate locations?

Post by Richard Waymir » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

The only way to do that would be with hardware support.  EMC can provide
this, as can Compaq Storageworks.

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

Quote:> Is it possible to setup a SQL Server fail-over cluster at separate
> locations.  Example:  having two servers in different cities staying in
sync
> over tcp/ip with automatic error detection and fail-over.

> What would be preferred way of going about this? I can't seem to find a
> direct answer on microsoft's site.

> Thanks

> -djm

> *remove _nospam_ for direct reply

Clustering SQL server at seperate locations?

Post by Richard Waymir » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Sure, but the question wasn't what's cheap, it was is it possible :-)

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

> Of course it's possible, but you would have to run fibre SCSI, and the
> ethernet connecton between cities, and that aint gonna be cheap...

> B.

> > The only way to do that would be with hardware support.  EMC can provide
> > this, as can Compaq Storageworks.

> > --
> > Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

> > > Is it possible to setup a SQL Server fail-over cluster at separate
> > > locations.  Example:  having two servers in different cities staying
in
> > sync
> > > over tcp/ip with automatic error detection and fail-over.

> > > What would be preferred way of going about this? I can't seem to find
> > > direct answer on microsoft's site.

> > > Thanks

> > > -djm

> > > *remove _nospam_ for direct reply

Clustering SQL server at seperate locations?

Post by Mike Sno » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Compaq has what are called stretched clusters.

http://www.compaq.com/solutions/enterprise/ha-f500dt-description.html

City to city would almost require ATM, and Compaq does have an ATM gateway
for their fiber channel products.  Would not be a supported cluster
configuration though and the latency issues could really come back to haunt
you.

How about just turning on merge replication this could get you to about 1-2
minute delta in consistency.  Or create a custom 2pc stored procedure
routines to handle inserts, updates, and deletes?

Mike Snow

I will let others link in EMC, Hitachi, etc. solutions.

Post by Ben Holk » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Of course it's possible, but you would have to run fibre SCSI, and the
ethernet connecton between cities, and that aint gonna be cheap...

B.

> The only way to do that would be with hardware support.  EMC can provide
> this, as can Compaq Storageworks.

> --
> Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

> > Is it possible to setup a SQL Server fail-over cluster at separate
> > locations.  Example:  having two servers in different cities staying in
> sync
> > over tcp/ip with automatic error detection and fail-over.

> > What would be preferred way of going about this? I can't seem to find a
> > direct answer on microsoft's site.

> > Thanks

> > -djm

> > *remove _nospam_ for direct reply

1. Connect to database server from seperate location

let say's that we have 2 location : A & B, we have database server at A and
we have client application developed by VB at B. if i want to connect via
Modem/DIAL UP to A, using ODBC for that and using TCP/IP protocol.. how to
make it works ??
my client using windows 2000
my server using windows 2000 adv server
and my database server is sql server 7.0

thanks
Iwan Deni Budihalim

2. Hyperion Essbase and Sun break all OLAP benchhmark records

3. Clustering 2 SQL servers in geographically different locations

4. Problem on SCO 5.0.6 and IDS 7.31-UC2

5. SQL Cluster on Seperate Networks?

6. Multiple DB instances on SQL 2000 Standard

7. After the SQL cluster upgrade to cluster, the SQL server cannot be accessed

8. tempdb location in SQL cluster

9. Bit confused about location of DTC resource for clustered SQL 7

10. SQL 2000 Cluster and the Default Binaries Location

11. How to seperate MM/DD/YY into seperate fields in access

12. Seperate instances vs. seperate schemas