Named Pipes vs TCP/IP (setting automatically during app install or within app)

Named Pipes vs TCP/IP (setting automatically during app install or within app)

Post by Greg Berthum » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My installation program gives the user the option to run MDAC_TYP.EXE to
install the SQL Server 7 connectivity components.  The Network Library
Configuration is defaulting to Named Pipes.  I would like to give the user
the option to use TCP/IP and have the installation take care of it.

How can this be done?  Is there a MDAC_TYP.EXE command line option?  Is
there a WinAPI function I can use to do it?  Is there a INI file setting
somewhere?

My application's SQL Server connect string is stored in an ini file, ie:
SERVER,DATABASE,LOGIN,PASSWORD

Is there a connection parameter to specify the connection method?
Greg Berthume

http://members.aol.com/gberthume

Named Pipes vs TCP/IP (setting automatically during app install or within app)

Post by Gert Draper » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

No, but that is not how you should do it, you should not change the defaults
of the user, all database APIs provide a way to set the protocol for SQL
Server in the connect string. So what you should do is provide the option in
your application or component to connect using a specific protocol, by
adding the network= to your connect strings like network=dbnmpntw; for named
pipes, network=dbmssocn; for TCP/IP sockets, network=dbmsspxn; for SPX
sockets If you need to control the address you can additionally change that
by using the address=hostname,portnumber; if you have a different port from
the default setting (whatever you have) or your server name is not your
hostname.

-GertD

Named Pipes vs TCP/IP (setting automatically during app install or within app)

Post by Greg Berthum » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Makes sense.  Thanks for the info!

Quote:> No, but that is not how you should do it, you should not change the
defaults
> of the user, all database APIs provide a way to set the protocol for SQL
> Server in the connect string. So what you should do is provide the option
in
> your application or component to connect using a specific protocol, by
> adding the network= to your connect strings like network=dbnmpntw; for
named
> pipes, network=dbmssocn; for TCP/IP sockets, network=dbmsspxn; for SPX
> sockets If you need to control the address you can additionally change
that
> by using the address=hostname,portnumber; if you have a different port
from
> the default setting (whatever you have) or your server name is not your
> hostname.

> -GertD

1. Named Pipes vs TCP/IP (setting automatically during app install or within app)

My installation program gives the user the option to run MDAC_TYP.EXE to
install the SQL Server 7 connectivity components.  The Network Library
Configuration is defaulting to Named Pipes.  I would like to give the user
the option to use TCP/IP and have the installation take care of it.

How can this be done?  Is there a MDAC_TYP.EXE command line option?  Is
there a WinAPI function I can use to do it?  Is there a INI file setting
somewhere?

My application's SQL Server connect string is stored in an ini file, ie:
SERVER,DATABASE,LOGIN,PASSWORD

Is there a connection parameter to specify the connection method?
Greg Berthume

http://members.aol.com/gberthume

2. Row and column totals in Apex DBGrid 6 Pro

3. Named Pipes vs TCP/IP

4. dropped table..who dunnit

5. Sybase has no clue why Precompiler does not work for Sybase 11.5.x

6. Name Pipe vs TCP/IP

7. DBA Job open

8. Named Pipes vs. TCP/IP

9. TCP IP vs Named Pipes

10. Strange connection problem (TCP/IP vs. Named Pipes)