question I needd to do a restore with move for databases with filegroups - Synacx Question

question I needd to do a restore with move for databases with filegroups - Synacx Question

Post by Stacey Fernande » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:14:15

I have 5 very large databases (250 gigs and up) each that having multiple
filegroups (SQL7.0).  I will restoring to a new server with SQL 2000.  I am
trying to find out if I am required to indicate the name of the filegroup as
well as the new location in my move statement.  Can't really find a syntax
example of a restore with move involving databases with filegroups.

thanks!
Stace

question I needd to do a restore with move for databases with filegroups - Synacx Question

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:25:51

Search BOL for BACKUP and RESTORE commands and examples.
--
HTH,
Vyas

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

Quote:> I have 5 very large databases (250 gigs and up) each that having multiple
> filegroups (SQL7.0).  I will restoring to a new server with SQL 2000.  I
am
> trying to find out if I am required to indicate the name of the filegroup
as
> well as the new location in my move statement.  Can't really find a syntax
> example of a restore with move involving databases with filegroups.

> thanks!
> Stace

1. Question about moving databases to a new Server with backup restore

HI,

I am moving SQL Server 7.0 Databases to a new Server (Sql Server 7.0) with
backup and Restore.
I follow step into KB 304692.
The new SQL Server 7.0 installation  has SAME (yes SAME) drive letter
configurations from the server to which I originally backed up the
databases.

First, SQL Server 7.0 has been installed into the new Server.

Step 1 :    restore Master Database :
        1.a   sqlservr -c -m
        1.b   Restore Database Master...
        After step 1.b Users databases appeared as SUSPECT.

My question is:
do I have to execute those 2 step (1.c and 1.d ) if the new SQL Server 7.0
installation  has SAME drive letter configurations from the server to which
I originally backed up the databases. ???)

        1.c   sqlservr -c -f -T3608
        1.d   Update sysdatabases SET ....
                ALTER database tempDB modify file ....

Thank you

Danny

2. help please - cant remove sql server utilities

3. filegroup backup and restore questions

4. Two DISTINCT statements ??

5. Move table from one filegroup to another filegroup

6. Intelli Sense in Visual Interdev

7. How to move all the filegroups to the primary filegroup

8. Oracle & RAID5

9. Moving Indexes from One Filegroup to other Filegroup

10. restore with move question

11. Restore Using With Move Question

12. Filegroup full error (Developer edition) and large database test question

13. move database filegroups to a new location