TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Scott Newel » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am working on an application that does lots of processing against SQL
Server 6.5 using RDO from VB. At various intervals in my program, things
are halted due to and error from SQL Server - 40002 TDS Buffer Length Too
Large. I've looked at MSDN on this error, but the only recommendations
available have to do with updating dlls from WFW! I'm running NT 4.0, and
this machine has never had WFW on it.

Anyone run into to this or know what to do to work around? Help is greatly
appreciated.

Scott

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by huh » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Are you using a views? Check, whether the definition of underlying table
hasn't changed...
 >I am working on an application that does lots of processing against SQL

Quote:>Server 6.5 using RDO from VB. At various intervals in my program, things
>are halted due to and error from SQL Server - 40002 TDS Buffer Length Too
>Large. I've looked at MSDN on this error, but the only recommendations
>available have to do with updating dlls from WFW! I'm running NT 4.0, and
>this machine has never had WFW on it.

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Scott Newel » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

No views involved. The database structure is not changing. I'm allowed
total control of the structure while developing this app.

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am working on an application that does lots of processing against SQL
> Server 6.5 using RDO from VB. At various intervals in my program, things
> are halted due to and error from SQL Server - 40002 TDS Buffer Length Too
> Large. I've looked at MSDN on this error, but the only recommendations
> available have to do with updating dlls from WFW! I'm running NT 4.0, and
> this machine has never had WFW on it.

 Scott,

 Is the app running locally on the machine or from a client?  What net-lib and
network protocol(s) are you using?

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Scott Newel » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Neil,

The app is running on a client computer, running only TCP/IP. Net lib is
DBNMPNTW.DLL, version 6.50.240.

I just today discovered an article in the kb (Q152063 ) that talks about
tcp/ip not being able to handle large bursts of TDS packets (typically from
a server that is faster than the client).

Anything else you can add is greatly appreciated.

Scott

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> The app is running on a client computer, running only TCP/IP. Net lib is
> DBNMPNTW.DLL, version 6.50.240.

> I just today discovered an article in the kb (Q152063 ) that talks about
> tcp/ip not being able to handle large bursts of TDS packets (typically from
> a server that is faster than the client).

> Anything else you can add is greatly appreciated.

 Scott,

 Nope, that's what I was thinking of.  You could try converting to tcp-ip
sockets and then amending the winsock queue length (there's another article on
this one) to prevent packets getting lost.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Scott Newel » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Neil,

That sounds good but I don't know much about using tcp-ip sockets. Can I
change my app so that I know this is what the app will be using on the
client machine? I guess I just need a little more educational information
on the subject. I couldn't find an article using keywords you mentioned.
Can you give me a little more info?

Thanks,
Scott

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> That sounds good but I don't know much about using tcp-ip sockets. Can I
> change my app so that I know this is what the app will be using on the
> client machine? I guess I just need a little more educational information
> on the subject. I couldn't find an article using keywords you mentioned.
> Can you give me a little more info?

 Scott,

 To use IP sockets, all you need to do is get SQL to listen on it (SQL
Setup/change network support) and then amend the client connectivity - using
the SQL client config utility.

 Q154628 gives details of the Winsock registry entry.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Scott Newel » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Neil,

Thanks for all your help, but nothing I did ever solved the problem. I
changed the client side to use sockets, and changed the server's registry
WinsockListenBackLog to the highest possible value. Yet I'm still getting
TDS Buffer Length too large. I guess now I am forced to rewrite my code on
the server using stored procs. Ugh.

Scott

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Scott,

 I would raise a fault with MS PSS on this as it looks like a bug - it could be
your particular SQL code causing this problem (through no fault of your own).

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

TDS Buffer Length too Large Error

Post by Jesus Lop » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:05:20 -0700, "Scott Newell"

>Neil,

>Thanks for all your help, but nothing I did ever solved the problem. I
>changed the client side to use sockets, and changed the server's registry
>WinsockListenBackLog to the highest possible value. Yet I'm still getting
>TDS Buffer Length too large. I guess now I am forced to rewrite my code on
>the server using stored procs. Ugh.

>Scott

  Try removing the IPX protocol from the client PC

1. TDS buffer length too large --- ERROR

Hello,

      I have a sql 2k (sp2) server. When I run a select on a
particular table from the sql query analyzer which returns around
800,000 rows I get this error.
I run this from sql server client machine (Workstation)..which is
winnt 4.0 with sql 2k tools.

[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver]TDS buffer length too large

Any idea whats happening here. Help in this is highly apreciated.

Thanks,
Raks

2. Why does this setup work?

3. TDS Buffer Length too large error.

4. XML from a URL in DTS

5. Unknown token received, Protocol error in TDS stream, TDS buffer length too large

6. suspect database - a different problem

7. Using XML DOM in Stored Procedures

8. "TDS buffer length too large" Error

9. runtime error 40002:TDS buffer length too large

10. TDS buffer length too large (SQL Error)