shrink db has taken a week

Post by Hank Kratze » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:25:05

I have a 100GB data warehouse in development and I deleted about 60GB worth
of tables. Since I was running out of disk space I wanted to shrink one of
the databases. I checked the box to move the pages to the beginning of the
file. But the DBCC process has taken a week now. If I kill the process will
it take another week to bring the database back?

I don't need the data but I would rather not rebuild the database from
scratch, either. DTS jobs are saved and the so are the system dbs.

Any ideas how I might get my db back?

Thanks.

Hank

shrink db has taken a week

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:37:10

If you kill the process I believe you will still retain most of the work
done so far.  In the future you might want to think about BCP'ing out the
data you wish to keep.  Truncating the tables and BCPing it back in.  It
will probably be faster than using Shrinkfile or ShrinkDatabase.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I have a 100GB data warehouse in development and I deleted about 60GB
worth
> of tables. Since I was running out of disk space I wanted to shrink one of
> the databases. I checked the box to move the pages to the beginning of the
> file. But the DBCC process has taken a week now. If I kill the process
will
> it take another week to bring the database back?

> I don't need the data but I would rather not rebuild the database from
> scratch, either. DTS jobs are saved and the so are the system dbs.

> Any ideas how I might get my db back?

> Thanks.

> Hank

1. HELP: First Day in Week Setting and First Week in Year Help

1.
I would like to change the SQL-Server 7 configuration for
- the first day of week to Monday and NOT Sunday AND
- that the first week in a year is the first full week

I know the configuration option "SET DATEFIRST", but this is only for a
session.

I would like to change these settings ONCE for the whole SQL Server.

2.
Found something interesting:
If I want to fill a table with all weeks from 1997 to 2005 and a unique ID,
sometimes,
weeks are missing (2000-01) for example... This problem starts with 2000...
Y2K Problem?
But this problem only happens, if I set the first day of week to Sunday, if
it is set to Monday, it works!

I am confused... PLEASE HELP!

Here is the code for it:
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[DBL_Dates] (
 [Number] [T_PCID] NOT NULL,
 [Week] VARCHAR(6) NOT NULL
 CONSTRAINT [PK_DBL_Dates] PRIMARY KEY ( [Number] )
) ON [PRIMARY]

SET DATEFIRST 7 -- 7 does NOT work, 1 works

BEGIN

 BEGIN

 END

also... thats why I tried with DAY
END

2. Developers in Tucson

3. Calculate week number if week 1 does not start on Jan-1

4. Updating Connection's DSN property

5. Datepart week <> Calendar week

6. Help on Port of Oracle 7 Database to Sybase System 11

7. Week : howto find the date of the first day of a week#

8. simple question about layouts

9. Calculating week and year according to ISO 8601 - week.txt (0/1)

10. Having "HAVING" problems with GROUP BY.

11. DB Question of the week

12. Having problem login in DB

13. Database file shrink if auto-shrink off