Populate the fact table

Post by Euge » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:13:43

Do I made the things more commplicated? I found that to populate the
fact table is very difficult, even with dimemtion more than 4. Say if
you have 4 dimensions S,W,Y,Z. For each measure, you need to identify
a record (s,w,y,z) prove to be humongious task, particularly when you
business data are very complicated. There must be some professional
way to do that which I am not aware of. Can anyone point me at the
correct direction? Are there any books or articles I can reference to?
You help will be greatly appreciated.

Eugene

Populate the fact table

Post by Ray Higdo » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:10:17

Don't know of any other way than joining all your tables and placing the
key in the fact table. You want to go to the lowest granular level of
the detail for your cube.

HTH

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

1. OLAP - Populating the fact table

I need a method of populating my fact table. My fact table
consists of foreign keys realting to my dimensions.

FACT TABLE
PropertyID
WardID
HAID

Dimension Ward
WardID
Ward

Dimension HA
Haid
Housing area

The approach I am taking is that if I move the Dimension
Ward key and Dimension Ha key to a temp table and then use
DTS to populate the fact table.

The problem I am having is that I cannot merge both tables
in to one because I can use a join as the dimensions do
not have anything in common and I cannot use Union because
a Union requires the same no of columns and datatypes.

So I am stuck.

Please Help

2. repair & compact of database?

3. Efficient way of populating a fact table?

4. Sending parameters to a sql-procedure in no certain order

5. Populating Fact Tables (Star-Schema) in DataMart using DTS

6. ANN: Database Workbench 2.3 released!

7. Populating Fact Table

8. Populating Fact tables in Star-Schema

9. Splitting monthly fact tables and daily fact tables into separate databases

10. populating a listbox faster than populating a table?

11. Multi-column joins between the fact table and dim table

12. Fact table and Dimension table from distinct database???