Application Login Failure After SQL 6.5 to 6.5 data migration

Application Login Failure After SQL 6.5 to 6.5 data migration

Post by Todd Haye » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:30:07

Over the weekend, I attempted to move six databases from an older server
to a newer one.  I have installed SQL 6.5 on both with identical
configurations.  After migrating the data, bringing down the old server,
renaming the new server and configuring the ip address, I ran into a
problem.  Two applications that access databases on the server were unable
to login using any id other than the system administrator id.  Each of
these applications have been tested on a test server with the same
configuration as the new and old production servers.  Each installation is
on an NT server with SP6 and each SQL install is using SP4.  One of the
applications gives an OLE DB error.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Application Login Failure After SQL 6.5 to 6.5 data migration

Post by Fuzz » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:52:41

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:30:07 -0000, Todd Hayes

>Over the weekend, I attempted to move six databases from an older server
>to a newer one.  I have installed SQL 6.5 on both with identical
>configurations.  After migrating the data, bringing down the old server,
>renaming the new server and configuring the ip address, I ran into a
>problem.  Two applications that access databases on the server were unable
>to login using any id other than the system administrator id.  Each of
>these applications have been tested on a test server with the same
>configuration as the new and old production servers.  Each installation is
>on an NT server with SP6 and each SQL install is using SP4.  One of the
>applications gives an OLE DB error.  Any suggestions would be
>appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Did you move the master db to the new server?  If not, all your logins
got left behind.

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Application Login Failure After SQL 6.5 to 6.5 data migration

Post by Todd Haye » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:30:02

Turns out that the databases that some of the databases were transfered by
scripting the objects then copying the .dat file to the new server.  The
sys id's were out of synch with the master database.  I found a script to
match the id's up.  Thank you for the post "Fuzzy". 8D

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:30:07 -0000, Todd Hayes

> >Over the weekend, I attempted to move six databases from an older
server
> >to a newer one.  I have installed SQL 6.5 on both with identical
> >configurations.  After migrating the data, bringing down the old
server,
> >renaming the new server and configuring the ip address, I ran into a
> >problem.  Two applications that access databases on the server were
unable
> >to login using any id other than the system administrator id.  Each of
> >these applications have been tested on a test server with the same
> >configuration as the new and old production servers.  Each installation
is
> >on an NT server with SP6 and each SQL install is using SP4.  One of the
> >applications gives an OLE DB error.  Any suggestions would be
> >appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

> Did you move the master db to the new server?  If not, all your logins
> got left behind.

> Ciao
> Fuzzy
> :-)

1. SQL 6.5 Login failure

I have a client\server app which connects to a SQL 6.5 database.  I have 15
clients which use this app.  It appears that over night something has
happened in that they cannot log in to the database.

When they try, they receive the following error:

    Login Failed- User _     Reason: Not defined as a valid user of a
trusted SQL Server connection.

No changes have been made to the database (permissions or otherwise) and
there have been no changes to their network.  What could be causing this?

2. table definition

3. Login failure with SQL 6.5 Server

4. jobs and packages problem

5. Login failure with SQL 6.5

6. Problems exporting SQL -files into Paradox format !!!!!

7. Trouble with SQL 6.5 replication (login failure)

8. VB4.0 16 bit - Error 3167 Record has been deleted???

9. SQL 6.5 login failures

10. SQL 6.5 Login failure

11. Login failure using SQL 6.5 Server

12. Login failure using SQL 6.5

13. Migration SQL SERVER 4.2 DATA TO SQL SERVER 6.5