Uninstall SP3

Post by Alex Clar » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:24:05

As SP3 has totally broken my SQL Server, i was wondering if it's possible to
uninstall it?  I haven't noticed it in the Add/Remove programs list...

TIA
-Alex

Uninstall SP3

Post by Greg Yvkoff [MSFT » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:32:05

can you tell us what's broke?  Have you contacted PSS ?

thanks.
greg

Quote:> As SP3 has totally broken my SQL Server, i was wondering if it's possible
> uninstall it?  I haven't noticed it in the Add/Remove programs list...

> TIA
> -Alex

Uninstall SP3

Post by Brian Mora » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 04:49:54

No. You can't simply uninstall it.

The readme.txt clearly says that you essentially need to resintall from
scratch if you want to get rid of SP3.

But as the MS person suggested... you might want to describe what you mean
by 'totally broke my system'. And perhaps contact PSS.

--

Brian Moran
Principal Mentor

Quote:> As SP3 has totally broken my SQL Server, i was wondering if it's possible
> uninstall it?  I haven't noticed it in the Add/Remove programs list...

> TIA
> -Alex

Uninstall SP3

Post by Trace » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:06:08

Im sitting here broken from SP3 too. Are you have renaming
issues? Can you get to your data at all?

Tracey

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>As SP3 has totally broken my SQL Server, i was wondering
if it's possible to
>uninstall it?  I haven't noticed it in the Add/Remove
programs list...

>TIA
>-Alex

>.

Uninstall SP3

Post by Alex Clar » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:17:07

Yes, I stated it in an earlier post ("SP3 Broke Me").  Basically, after
installing SP3 on my SQL2000 Personal Edition installation, the service
won't start and I can't run any of the SQL Apps (Enterprise manager, Service
Manager, Query Analyzer etc).

Any attempt to run these apps results in csrss.exe using up 100% CPU and the
App never loads.  The process starts, because I can see it in Task Manager,
if I try to terminate it I get an error saying that it can't be terminated
at this time.

The only way around it is to log off and back on again, and when I do that I
get another error message from the SQL app I was trying to load saying that
it couldn't initialize DLL (it never says which) because the window station
is shutting down.

I checked the Event Log and SQL isn't logging any error messages.  I believe
csrss.exe is a core Windows Service associated with Security, my guess is
that some crucial SQL Server DLL is having problems authenticating itself
now.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP1, Single CPU machine with plenty of RAM, SQL 2000
Personal Edition.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex Clark