Database names - Prob'ly a stupid question...

Database names - Prob'ly a stupid question...

Post by cephal0.. » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:30:15

Hi,

Assume I have a database called base1 on a test server. I have a more
recent version of the database on a production server (Lets call this
base2). I place a copy of base2 in the same directory as the base1, and
then swap the names of the two files (i.e base2 becomes base1 and vice-
versa).

Now, I've just done this, and everything seems to work fine - SQL
doesn't seem to have noticed that the database has changed.

It strikes me though that this just doesn't sound like it would be
reliable... Somewhere down the line something will go wrong.

Can anyone confirm that this is a silly idea, or (better) that isn't so
silly...

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Database names - Prob'ly a stupid question...

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:52:27

Matt,

It should work. I see no architectural reasons why it doesn't work (you should only
have to change the file of the MDF file if you're on 7.x). I would not do this on
production systems, though (going from prod, as your above scenario seem fine,
though).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> Hi,

> Assume I have a database called base1 on a test server. I have a more
> recent version of the database on a production server (Lets call this
> base2). I place a copy of base2 in the same directory as the base1, and
> then swap the names of the two files (i.e base2 becomes base1 and vice-
> versa).

> Now, I've just done this, and everything seems to work fine - SQL
> doesn't seem to have noticed that the database has changed.

> It strikes me though that this just doesn't sound like it would be
> reliable... Somewhere down the line something will go wrong.

> Can anyone confirm that this is a silly idea, or (better) that isn't so
> silly...

> Thanks for any help,

> Matt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Database names - Prob'ly a stupid question...

Post by Tony Clar » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:02:53

Since all of the system tables for a database exist in the MDF file, there
is no reason why this doesn't work.  The master database is looking for
Base1 and Base2 from the sysdatabases table and basically finds what it is
looking for.  It doesn't care that the contents of the database has changed.

The only problem I can see happening comes from the mapping of the logins
and DB users.  Did you have any problems there?  If you kept the security
info the same on both databases, then there shouldn't be a problem.  I would
be curious to know.

Tony Clark
DBA / SAP Basis Manager
Seventh Wave Technology

> Hi,

> Assume I have a database called base1 on a test server. I have a more
> recent version of the database on a production server (Lets call this
> base2). I place a copy of base2 in the same directory as the base1, and
> then swap the names of the two files (i.e base2 becomes base1 and vice-
> versa).

> Now, I've just done this, and everything seems to work fine - SQL
> doesn't seem to have noticed that the database has changed.

> It strikes me though that this just doesn't sound like it would be
> reliable... Somewhere down the line something will go wrong.

> Can anyone confirm that this is a silly idea, or (better) that isn't so
> silly...

> Thanks for any help,

> Matt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

I am a beginner with VB, so please do not get annoyed about my stupid
questions (if they are - I'm not sure)...

I have Access 2000 & VB6. I am creating a database program (with VB6) to
store peoples names in an Access database. From what I have found,
Access 2000 database are not compatible with VB6. It says 'format not
recognised' when trying to access the Access file. When I load the VB
samples on Access it says 'old format - design cannot be changed' or
something like that.
AAAHHH!!! Help me!!

If any kind body out there could help me with my database, that would be
great (take out 'nospam' from my address).

With great thanks;

Ben
--
                                   :-) BEN (-:

2. DBMS_LOB Part II

3. Sales variance on LY exclusions question

4. Oracle DBA and Architect opening in Chicago:recruiter

5. Stupid answers to stupid questions?

6. Not enough room on default segment?!? I don't get it!

7. stupid question - comments don't effect SP execution time

8. How to open an Access database with user level security?

9. Stupid replication question that Microsoft support can't answer

10. Tx'al Replication stupid question

11. *** A STUPID QUESTION (I'M BEGINNING) ***

12. Incredibly Stupid Question! Incrementing #'s 4.5 Dos

13. Prob creating Access 2 database using VB5 distributed app (can't find installable ISAM)