Erwin find

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Bert - probably www.cai.com/erwin

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Erwin find

Post by Rowan McCamm » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Bert,

Personally I found Erwin very "idiosyncratic". I too had heard "good
things" about this tool. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar
experiences to me?

Another one you may like to check out would be E/R Studio
(http://www.embarcadero.com/).

Regards,
Rowan.

Quote:

> There was a thread that was about database case tools for
> SQL..
> Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
> them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
> some one or not around anymore...
> www.platinum.com
> Does anyone know where to find it ?
> Bert

Erwin find

Post by Paul Shapir » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I've used ERwin for many years now. And I have also found it "idiosyncratic"
in every version since 1.0. You have to manually tell it to redraw the
screen since it can't keep track of when it has failed to update the
display. If you skip an upgrade version, your old model files are orphaned-
new versions have typically only been able to convert the immediately
preceding version's files. If you want to find out more about it though,
it's now owned by Computer Associates, who claim that version 4 is in beta.
They bought ERwin from Platinum, who bought it from Logic Works, the
creator.

Are you happier with E/R Studio? Do you know how well it works with
Microsoft Access as well as SQL Server? I teach a database course, and can't
manage using separate software for myself and the course.
Paul Shapiro

> Bert,

> Personally I found Erwin very "idiosyncratic". I too had heard "good
> things" about this tool. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar
> experiences to me?

> Another one you may like to check out would be E/R Studio
> (http://www.embarcadero.com/).

> Regards,
> Rowan.

> > There was a thread that was about database case tools for
> > SQL..
> > Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
> > them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
> > some one or not around anymore...
> > www.platinum.com
> > Does anyone know where to find it ?
> > Bert

Erwin find

Post by Rowan McCamm » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Paul,

Yeah - I'm much happier now. None of them are perfect but I find this one
pretty good. It probably can access Access as it uses ODBC. Download an
eval copy. It's definitely worth a look.

Have fun!

Regards,
Rowan.

says...

> I've used ERwin for many years now. And I have also found it "idiosyncratic"
> in every version since 1.0. You have to manually tell it to redraw the
> screen since it can't keep track of when it has failed to update the
> display. If you skip an upgrade version, your old model files are orphaned-
> new versions have typically only been able to convert the immediately
> preceding version's files. If you want to find out more about it though,
> it's now owned by Computer Associates, who claim that version 4 is in beta.
> They bought ERwin from Platinum, who bought it from Logic Works, the
> creator.

> Are you happier with E/R Studio? Do you know how well it works with
> Microsoft Access as well as SQL Server? I teach a database course, and can't
> manage using separate software for myself and the course.
> Paul Shapiro

> > Bert,

> > Personally I found Erwin very "idiosyncratic". I too had heard "good
> > things" about this tool. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar
> > experiences to me?

> > Another one you may like to check out would be E/R Studio
> > (http://www.embarcadero.com/).

> > Regards,
> > Rowan.

> > > There was a thread that was about database case tools for
> > > SQL..
> > > Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
> > > them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
> > > some one or not around anymore...
> > > www.platinum.com
> > > Does anyone know where to find it ?
> > > Bert

Erwin find

Post by Mans Ohrstro » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Bert,

ERwin is now part of Computer Associates' Enterprise Modelling Suite. Please
visit http://www.cai.com/products/platinum/appdev/erwin_ps.htm for product
information, support information etc. Also, please go to
http://forums.cai.com for newly opened web based forums for all of CA's
products.

Mans Ohrstrom
Computer Associates UK

Quote:

> There was a thread that was about database case tools for
> SQL..
> Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
> them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
> some one or not around anymore...
> www.platinum.com
> Does anyone know where to find it ?
> Bert

Erwin find

Post by Larry Anderse » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I would highly suggest staying away from ERwin right now.  The product
hasn't been updated in close to 2 years, support is non-existent, and other
products are much more usable and have a better interface.  I would suggest
looking into ERStudio from Embarcadero Technologies
http://www.embarcadero.com.

We have found that ERwin is in dire need of upgrading and considering the
fact that this product has changed hands 3 times in the last 3 years, it
looks like it will never happen.  We even tried calling Computer Associates
to report a bug and took 3 different people to even realize they owned the
product.

And no, I don't work for them...  Seems kinda silly to pay so much for a
product that has no support.

> Bert,

> ERwin is now part of Computer Associates' Enterprise Modelling Suite.
Please
> visit http://www.cai.com/products/platinum/appdev/erwin_ps.htm for product
> information, support information etc. Also, please go to
> http://forums.cai.com for newly opened web based forums for all of CA's
> products.

> Mans Ohrstrom
> Computer Associates UK

> > There was a thread that was about database case tools for
> > SQL..
> > Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
> > them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
> > some one or not around anymore...
> > www.platinum.com
> > Does anyone know where to find it ?
> > Bert

Erwin find

Post by <andrea.ball.. » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have used ERWin and PowerDesigner extensively in addition to playing with
an evaluation copy of ERStudio.  I have found that each one of them has very
powerful features whereas they each have bugs and missing needs.  One of
these days a bunch of us DBAs need to sit down and write our own database
design tool that will do everything we possibly could want it to do.

I loved some of the version control features of ERWin, but I switched jobs
and am no longer using it.  Unfortunately, I never ran into support issues
with Computer Associates because it was owned by Platinum.  It is a shame
that support has fallen and is now making this tool undesirable.

I would highly recommend that the first person who posted this question
download evaluation copies and try all three.  That way, it will be easier
to pick the one that best fits his needs (remember - each is missing
something that the others have).  And I would highly take into account any
complaints that people are having about support.

Andrea Ballard
Lead DBA - Vision
IPS-Sendero (Norcross, Georgia)

>I would highly suggest staying away from ERwin right now.  The product
>hasn't been updated in close to 2 years, support is non-existent, and other
>products are much more usable and have a better interface.  I would suggest
>looking into ERStudio from Embarcadero Technologies
>http://www.embarcadero.com.

>We have found that ERwin is in dire need of upgrading and considering the
>fact that this product has changed hands 3 times in the last 3 years, it
>looks like it will never happen.  We even tried calling Computer Associates
>to report a bug and took 3 different people to even realize they owned the
>product.

>And no, I don't work for them...  Seems kinda silly to pay so much for a
>product that has no support.

>> Bert,

>> ERwin is now part of Computer Associates' Enterprise Modelling Suite.
>Please
>> visit http://www.cai.com/products/platinum/appdev/erwin_ps.htm for
product
>> information, support information etc. Also, please go to
>> http://forums.cai.com for newly opened web based forums for all of CA's
>> products.

>> Mans Ohrstrom
>> Computer Associates UK

>> > There was a thread that was about database case tools for
>> > SQL..
>> > Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
>> > them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
>> > some one or not around anymore...
>> > www.platinum.com
>> > Does anyone know where to find it ?
>> > Bert

Erwin find

Post by Rob Valle » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Try Information Miner for SQL7. Great tool!  It's more of a metadata mining
tool but has some cool features.

Rob

> I would highly suggest staying away from ERwin right now.  The product
> hasn't been updated in close to 2 years, support is non-existent, and
other
> products are much more usable and have a better interface.  I would
suggest
> looking into ERStudio from Embarcadero Technologies
> http://www.embarcadero.com.

> We have found that ERwin is in dire need of upgrading and considering the
> fact that this product has changed hands 3 times in the last 3 years, it
> looks like it will never happen.  We even tried calling Computer
Associates
> to report a bug and took 3 different people to even realize they owned the
> product.

> And no, I don't work for them...  Seems kinda silly to pay so much for a
> product that has no support.

> > Bert,

> > ERwin is now part of Computer Associates' Enterprise Modelling Suite.
> Please
> > visit http://www.cai.com/products/platinum/appdev/erwin_ps.htm for
product
> > information, support information etc. Also, please go to
> > http://forums.cai.com for newly opened web based forums for all of CA's
> > products.

> > Mans Ohrstrom
> > Computer Associates UK

> > > There was a thread that was about database case tools for
> > > SQL..
> > > Some one mentioned ERwin.  I've heard good things about
> > > them in the past but It seems to have been bought out by
> > > some one or not around anymore...
> > > www.platinum.com
> > > Does anyone know where to find it ?
> > > Bert

1. Erwin find

I think they got bought out by Computer Associates.  I don't know what their
web page address is.

Hope that helps..
Andrea Ballard
Lead Database Analyst
Vision Integration Services
IPS-Sendero (Norcross, Georgia)

2. Access 7.0 and SQL Server 6.5 - a new kid needs help

3. Find First, Find Next, Find Previous, Find Last

4. System Builder & Report Writer Help needed

5. MA-BOSTON-100256--Data Modeling-ERWin-Windows NT-SYBASE-ORACLE-UNIX-Logical Data Modeler - ERWin & Modelmart

6. Max size for UTL_FILE_DIR parameter

7. erwin

8. Linked Servers

9. Erwin/DBArtisan

10. ERWIN

11. ERWin alternatives?

12. Erwin 3.0 SQL Server, Update Trigger problem