Does Excel 2000 require MDAC 2.6 to access OLAP?

Does Excel 2000 require MDAC 2.6 to access OLAP?

Post by Terry P » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 05:20:32

What version of Excel 2000 is required to access Analysis Services 2000? SQL
Server 2000 installs MDAC 2.6, but Windows 2000 OS is using MDAC 2.5. Does
this not cause a conflict? Will OWC function correctly with Analysis
Services 2000?

What version of MDAC is required to access MS OLAP or Analysis Services via
Excel, OWC or other ADO MD frontent tools (Proclarity, etc.)?

thanks, Terry

Does Excel 2000 require MDAC 2.6 to access OLAP?

Post by Fabricio Ferreir » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:07:12

If you need to use Analysis Server with Excel 2000 and you dont have sql2000
instaled on this machine, you have to install the "Pivot Table Service".

Locate this files on the SQL 2000 CD and install them on this machine.
PTSFULL.EXE - Pivot table service with complete MDAC 2.6
PTSLITE.EXE - Only Pivot table service.

After installation, the "MSOLAP 8" provider will appear. This is used to
access cubes on Analysis Server.

Att.
Fabricio

Quote:> What version of Excel 2000 is required to access Analysis Services 2000?
SQL
> Server 2000 installs MDAC 2.6, but Windows 2000 OS is using MDAC 2.5. Does
> this not cause a conflict? Will OWC function correctly with Analysis
> Services 2000?

> What version of MDAC is required to access MS OLAP or Analysis Services
via
> Excel, OWC or other ADO MD frontent tools (Proclarity, etc.)?

> thanks, Terry

1. OLAP Provider Missing but do not wish to install MDAC 2.6 to install OLAP provider

I am using the following code on a client machine

-- Start

Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset

cnn.Open "Provider=MSOLAP.1; " & _
"Integrated Security=SSPI;Data Source=S*****;" & _
"Initial Catalog=Foodmart;"
rst.Source = "SELECT NEST([Promotion Media].MEMBERS, " & _
vbCrLf & "[Gender].MEMBERS) ON ROWS, " & _
vbCrLf & "NEST([Education Level].MEMBERS, " & _
vbCrLf & "[Marital Status].MEMBERS) ON COLUMNS" & _
vbCrLf & "FROM Sales"
rst.ActiveConnection = cnn
rst.Open

-- End

but am missing the MSOLAP provider , I have the 2.6 version of ADO
installed + registered but I do not wish to install MDAC 2.6 on all
client machines , is there any way I can get the provider without
installing MDAC 2.6.

Any Help appreciated.

Regards,

Neil

2. VB error message of unrecognized data type

3. MDAC 2.6 and Access 2000

4. Start Trans - commit, pls help

5. Rename a Column name in Recordset

6. SQL 2000, OSE 2000 & MDAC 2.6

7. SELECT a field with special chars. like a \'

8. Why does MDAC 2.6 SP1 require IE 4?

9. mdac 2.6 and olap dll registration problems

10. SQL 2000 Cluster and MDAC 2.6

11. MDAC 2.6 and SQL Server 2000 Clusters

12. MDAC 2.6 to SQL Server 2000 very slow.