Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Post by Charles Ticheno » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I want to store DBCS strings in an
SQL Server 6.5 field. What's the best
datatype for the field and are there any
special issues that I have to watch out for
when accessing the database via ADO.

Additionally, is it possible to use this
scheme to support more than one character
set in the same field. In other words, having
USA English with code page 1252 in one row,
and Japanese shift-jis with code page 932 in
the same field of another row within the same
table.

TIA

Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Charles

Quote:> Additionally, is it possible to use this
> scheme to support more than one character
> set in the same field. In other words, having
> USA English with code page 1252 in one row,
> and Japanese shift-jis with code page 932 in
> the same field of another row within the same
> table.

 Nope, though this may well be in a future SQL release

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Post by Gregory Suvalia » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Does not SQL 7 support nchar datatype, which is UNICODE?

Quote:> Charles

> > Additionally, is it possible to use this
> > scheme to support more than one character
> > set in the same field. In other words, having
> > USA English with code page 1252 in one row,
> > and Japanese shift-jis with code page 932 in
> > the same field of another row within the same
> > table.

>  Nope, though this may well be in a future SQL release

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
otherwise)
>  For SQL FAQ entries see
>  http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always
here
>  www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes, but the question was can SQL support separate code pages per column, which
currently it cannot.

Quote:> Does not SQL 7 support nchar datatype, which is UNICODE?

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Post by Gregory Suvalia » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

What do you mean by "per column"?

Quote:> Yes, but the question was can SQL support separate code pages per column,
which
> currently it cannot.

> > Does not SQL 7 support nchar datatype, which is UNICODE?

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
otherwise)
>  For SQL FAQ entries see
>  http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always
here
>  www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Multiple character sets in one SQL6.5 table

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Gregory,

Quote:> What do you mean by "per column"?

 Table with two columns.  Column A is in French and is in code-page x1 sorted
by sort-order x2.

 Column B is in Japanese in code-page y1 sorted by sort-order y2.

 SQL Server does not currently support this.  Even with Unicode all columns
have to be sorted in the same order.

 (Please reply only to the newsgroup unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 sqlfaq.zip in http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver.  Download from lib 1.
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (download as part of ntfaq)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqls

1. Supporting mulitple character sets in one table

I want to store DBCS strings in an
SQL Server 6.5 field. What's the best
datatype for the field and are there any
special issues that I have to watch out for
when accessing the database via ADO.

Additionally, is it possible to use this
scheme to support more than one character
set in the same field. In other words, having
USA English with code page 1252 in one row,
and Japanese shift-jis with code page 932 in
the same field of another row within the same
table.

TIA

2. Run-time error 3027

3. combining data into one table from multiple tables - please disregard a previous one, wrong email

4. table column information

5. How do I see what sort order / character set on a SQL6.5

6. Access & Outlook User Defined Fields

7. db character set & N character set

8. recordcount property returns -1

9. Non supported character set: oracle-character-set-96

10. multiple screen, multiple table screen sets

11. How to convert data from One character set to another

12. One database server with different character set and sort order for different database

13. Using two different character sets in one database