2-byte character sets

Post by Richard Infiel » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

What is the story with SQL Server support for 2-byte character sets? Is it
due in V7.0? I have some Japanese customers who are keen to know...

Does anybody out there know if this is planned?
        Richard.

2-byte character sets

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Richard,

 It should be in there.....

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd

2-byte character sets

Post by Dion Wiggin » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You can do this in 6.5
We are using it for Chinese and Japanese without a problem. The characterset
must be set to Multilingual when you install and your must set sorting to be
Case Sensitive. If you do this, then it can handle any language you give it.
There are a few limitations in searching as it does not know language you
are using, so if you give it half a double byte character as part of the
search using a LIKE query then it will give you lots of records you did not
want.
Hope this helps
--

Regards

Dion Wiggins
ActiveX Factory Inc.

>What is the story with SQL Server support for 2-byte character sets? Is it
>due in V7.0? I have some Japanese customers who are keen to know...

>Does anybody out there know if this is planned?
>        Richard.

2-byte character sets

Post by Hal Berenso » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

There are two different kinds of 2-character support.

SQL Server 6.5 supports what is known as double-byte character sets (DBCS).
With DBCS you get the normal single byte character (SBCS. e.g. ISO Latin-1
a.k.a. Code Page 1252) set plus one additional set of 255 extended
characters.  One byte is stolen from the SBCS code page as a flag byte
indicating this is an extended (2-byte) character.  So if you use a
character out of your normal code page it takes one byte whereas if you use
an extended character it takes two.  That allows you to run on a machine
with a DBCS variant of Windows NT installed and use that one extended
character set.  What you can't do, for example, is mix Kanji and Chinese on
the same machine.   This is a frequent requirement in the far east.

SQL Server 7 will support Unicode (as well as retaining SBCS/DBCS support).
In Unicode you can mix and match characters from any character set in the
same string thus meeting the full multilingual needs of the far east.
Unicode differs from DBCS in that characters are always 2-bytes with the
latin characters just a part .  For details on Unicode itself see
http://www.unicode.org

--
All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone

>What is the story with SQL Server support for 2-byte character sets? Is it
>due in V7.0? I have some Japanese customers who are keen to know...

>Does anybody out there know if this is planned?
>        Richard.

2-byte character sets

Post by Richard A. Schulm » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:34:43 GMT, Neil Pike

>Richard,

> It should be in there.....

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
> Protech Computing Ltd

Yes, but will this be DBCS still? Or will it at last be full Unicode
support, including support for queries that properly display Unicode
result sets, not just the Chinese "Big 5" character set or any of the
other more limited DBCS character sets hitherto supported?

In other words, will SQL Server finally catch up with the underlying
Unicode basis of Windows NT?

(posted and emailed)

Richard Schulman
---
To email me, remove the "XYZ"

2-byte character sets

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Richard,

 As far as I know it's full Unicode.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd

1. Double Byte Character Sets

Hello all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I havent been able to
find the thread so I'll have to ask it again:

Can anyone tell me if OpenROAD supports the use of double byte character
sets

TIA.

--
Kevin Hogarth                       |  The opinions expressed are my own
Architecture Group                  |

Leeds LS11 9BH                      |

2. using setnet32 in windows nt and saving environment

3. Multi-byte character sets and database links

4. Need advice to speed up access to database

5. Multi-byte character sets

6. Replication over IP

7. NLS and Multi Byte Character Sets

8. Embedded SQL compiler to generate ODBC calls

9. Multi-byte Character Set Encoding Question

10. Using double byte character sets in FMP 4 (especially Japanese)

11. Single-byte character set recoding

12. Unicode/Multi-byte character sets

13. Double-byte character set in Progress DB