Distribution Task - Account ??

Post by Alois Stol » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have servers in different non-trusted domains,
but trusted connection (multiprotocol).
Replication works, if there are
  - local NT-Accounts with administrator-priviledges on the
subscriber-Servers
  - with same User-id /password of distribution-Server-SQL-EXEC-account.

My Problems :  I don't want to have the same password everywhere
                           and how can i restrict the access with this
account only to "Replication"
                           (because this accout is mapped to <sa>)

What i have tried :

For the distribution task exist two parameters
   -U <login-id>  -P <password>
When i Use these parameters - they are ignored (!?)

I don't know exactly how distribution task works ???
    - NT Login with SQL-EXEC-Account on subsciber-Server
    - SQL-Serverlogin with mapped <sa>  ??
    - remotelogin-mapping on subscriberserver ??

I hope, someone knows the details

Alois Stoll
Oberste Baubeh?rde im Bayerischen Staatsministerium des Innern
D-Mnchen

Distribution Task - Account ??

Post by Alois Stol » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

As I got no answer, I think,  i didn't explain my problem very well.
I'll try once again  ...

If have about 20 Department-Servers (different NT-Domain, own
administration)
For one Application we have to do bi-dir-Replikation.

It works, if i tell all the local Administrators to create a local
NT-account
with same NT-Account/Password used from SQL-Executive on Center-Server.
This account has to have <sa> permission.

Now all these local administrators are able to log on CenterServer with this
account and they are <sa> !.
The door is open ....

My Problem : How can i restrict Access only for Replication (distribution
task) ?
----------------------------------
Replication-Task uses  <remoteserver>_<SQLExec-account> as login on
subscriver-server .

I want to have a solution e.g.  <repl_login> + xp_grantlogin rep_login
'repl', but i don't know how.

I tried to use the  -U <login-id>  -P <password> parameters, but didn't
succeed.

I hope, someone can help me

Alois Stoll
Oberste Baubeh?rde im Bayerischen Staatsministerium des Innern
D-Mnchen

1. Accounting Systems for Wholesale Distribution Business

        We are seeking a complete accounting system for a wholesale
        distribution business.  We are running our current accounting
        system on UNIX.  Unfortunately, the original developers have
        abandoned this marketplace after 15 years.

        We have approximately 40 users and our annual revenues are
        approximately 15 million dollars.

        We would prefer that any new system run on the Microsoft
        Windows NT platform with SQL server (or another major DBMS).
        If a potential accounting systems is scheduled to be ported to
        Windows NT in the next 6 to 12 months, we might consider
        starting out with a UNIX version.

        If you have any advice regarding potential systems or good
        sources of product reviews/comparisons, please reply to:

        Thanks in advance,

        Phil Pucci

2. Pick failings - product and sales problems.

3. Accounting & Distribution Software in Informix

4. Ora newbi question (whenever someone finds time)

5. Distribution task not able to connect to server

6. ODBC and/or WIN32 Driver development jobs (wanted)

7. Distribution task problems

8. Wrong Newsgroup, but

9. Invalid Cursor State - Distribution Task Fails

10. Distribution task names only 36 characters?

11. Distribution task not created

12. Login problem on distribution task