SQL2000 Active/Active Configuration

Post by Eugen » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 05:13:35

Is it possible to run one instance database on a cluster
in the active/active mode to utilize both servers at the
same time, or it has to be two or more instances.

SQL2000 Active/Active Configuration

Post by Dann » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 06:03:10

Microsoft uses a share nothing model for clustering.  In an active cluster
one server will always own the disk resources that hold a particular
database.  So in short no.  Each database can only be run on a single
computer at any time.

Quote:> Is it possible to run one instance database on a cluster
> in the active/active mode to utilize both servers at the
> same time, or it has to be two or more instances.

SQL2000 Active/Active Configuration

Post by Frank S » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 06:07:02

For SQL2000 you can install 1 to 16 vitual instances on a clustered system.
Each instance can failover between two nodes, although at any given time,
only one node can own this instance.

There is no "Active/Active" conception for SQL 2k Cluster any more.

Wish this helps.

Frank

reserved.

SQL2000 Active/Active Configuration

Post by David Ga » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:51:48

Eugene,
To make is more clear, even in the old "active/active" case, still only
one node has access to one virtual sql server at any given time. Like
Danny said Microsoft cluster is a shared nothing mode. SQL is just a
cluster aware application sitting on the top of the win2k cluster.

David Gao, MCSE, MCDBA

SQL2000 Active/Active Configuration

Post by Eugen » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:51:03

Thanks alot!
> [...]

confers no rights.
>You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft

Corporation. All rights

Quote:>reserved.

>.

1. Need help Failover cluster configuration (like active-active mode)

Hi

Your configuration looks great.  Each instance of SQL Server will have its
own disk resources to store its \DATA folder.  Then if a failure occurs,
that instance and \DATA folder will move to the other node.

The only thing you need to do with SQL Server 2000 is to install 2 virtual
SQL Servers.  The first one can be a default instance the second one a
named instance. Or, many times we setup two virtual "named" instances line
SQL2K\SQLNODE1 and SQL2K\SQLNODE2.  Each of these instances must be given a
unique virtual IP and virtual SQL Server name used by the public network.

Install both instances from the same node, then just move one instance to
the second node and set it as the primay node for that instance.  That is
about all there is.

Below are some jumps to links you might find helpful.

SQL Server Books Online:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/

Q260758 INF: FAQs - SQL Server 2000 - Failover Clustering
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q260/7/58.asp

Q243218 INF: Installation Order for SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q243/2/18.asp

Q244980 INF: Virtual SQL Server Network IP Address Modifications
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q244/9/80.asp

Q230356 Changing the IP Address of Network Adapters in Cluster Server
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q230/3/56.asp

Q258750 Recommended Private "Heartbeat" Configuration on Cluster Server
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q258/7/50.asp

For other topics available from Microsoft check out www.Microsoft.com/SQL
or from an independent site check out www.sqlservercentral.com,
www.swynk.com and www.sqlmag.com for more information on SQL Server
clustering.

Best of Luck,

Chris Skorlinski, MCDBA
Microsoft SQL Server Support

reserved.

2. SQLJ

3. SQL 2000 Active/Active Configuration Question

4. FM 3 SERVER information needed

5. IP configurations for Active/Active second node.

6. Pbme MSSQL 6.5 & delphi 3 with dateField

7. SQL "Active/Active" Configuration Info

8. Shared storage for active/active-configuration

9. Active/Active SQL configuration

10. SQL Server Active/Active Configuration

11. Unclustering SQL Server from an active/active cluster configuration

12. How MSDTC works with Active/active configuration ?