Cross Posts

Post by Robert Elli » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:23:31

Hi NG,

I've only been perusing these NGs for the past couple of months & I'm already getting hacked off with the number of cross-posts. I am ready to adopt a personal policy of not replying to these. I know this is no great loss to anybody, but maybe if eveybody took the same attitude....

Stay Cool,

R.

Cross Posts

Post by FR » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:52:01

Well people do cross posts at times cos they need an answer desperately and they feel by posting it in more than one place may help solve the problem..

I myself have benefitted this way a couple of times . I got a reply in one newsgroup and not in the others.

There is no restrictions to SQL Gurus visiting only certain newsgroups and sometimes they dont even have the time to reply. And some SQL gurus and experts look only to certain newsgroups.

I dont see it to be very offensive as to not reply at all. Maybe you could reply by saying not to cross post, but not replying at all may not be very kind.

This is my honest opinion

People will change once addressed and you see so many newbies out there everyday. Im still a newbie and found this place the best place ever to gain knowledge.

You too Robert... STAY COOL

FR

  Hi NG,

  I've only been perusing these NGs for the past couple of months & I'm already getting hacked off with the number of cross-posts. I am ready to adopt a personal policy of not replying to these. I know this is no great loss to anybody, but maybe if eveybody took the same attitude....

  Stay Cool,

  R.

Cross Posts

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:17:05

Crossposting may be OK in some circumstances, taken that you *only post once*. I.e., add all
groups in the "newsgroup" button when you post. That way, the posts get the same message ID and
if you answer on one group, the answer shows up in all groups. Number of groups should not be
too high, still (we don't want irrelevant posts).

Posting independently to several groups mean that someone waste time answering a question only
to find out that someone else already answered it in another group. Not only is this tiring and
feels meaningless, also this will eventually lead to someone not getting help which otherwise
would :-)

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Cross Posts

Post by Frédéric BROUAR » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:57:02

Hello,

You must also understand that all the people working in computer
sciences are not english or speaking a perfect english language.

So, sometime, like me, they cannot know wich news channel is the
most appropriate to post in it. And the number of posting site is
growing !

Recently I post in 2 news groups : clients and server... Because
I did not know wich was the most appropriate. But I place a follow up
to...

Instead of not replying you can reply with a simple anotation about
thre problem, like : "crosposting is not the most appropriate choice
to have a quick answer, please do not use it or place a follow-up to..."

Remember that in the world there are some other body that are NOT US
people. Recently some bad news happen in New York ! Why ? Because
some of you want to make the world at your "image" and give many
lessons without understanding other's people culture.....

I wish those word don't hurt you, but if they do, it was not my
intention. My language level is not at the top !

A +

Quote:> Robert Ellis a crit :

--
Fred BROUARD, dit "Le PERROQUET" dixit lib !  Avec son R1 bleu YAMAHA
http://perso.club-internet.fr/brouardf : info (Paradox Delphi) et moto

Cross Posts

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 06:16:17

> I've only been perusing these NGs for the past couple of months & I'm
> already getting hacked off with the number of cross-posts. I am ready to
> adopt a personal policy of not replying to these. I know this is no great
> loss to anybody, but maybe if eveybody took the same attitude....

Crossposts are no big issue. Multi-posts are. That is, when people post
the same question to several newsgroups, but one at a time. It is very
likely that several bright people are spending their time writing the
same bright answer. Which means that all but one of them are wasting
their time. And someone else getting his question unanswered.

Quote:> ------=_NextPart_000_00B3_01C14558.4E656130
><HTML><HEAD>

While we're at the topic of nettiquette, don't include HTML in your posts.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Abaris AB

SQL Server MVP

1. cross-posts (was Re: Large databases,

That doesn't seem to work any more:

**** PostgreSQL User Support Lists.

What do I need to send now?

Marc?

--
Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler

2. Microsoft ODBC for Oracle v 2.73.728303 issue with WINNT

3. cross-posts (was Re: Large databases, performance)

4. Sybase 6 faster on NT or Netware???

5. cross-posts (was Re: [GENERAL] Large databases,

6. oracle tools

7. Error Message: Server 'vantivedevdb' is not configured for RPC.

8. Moving Access Cross Tab Query to SQL Cross Tab

9. Views to isolate against cross-database and cross-server

10. Performance Question: Cross Database Joins and Cross Server Joins

11. Cross-Platform/Cross-Database

12. test- my test posts go thru, but not my posts?