execute dts from a stored procedure?

Post by Rick » Thu, 17 May 2001 05:37:01

I am a novice to SQL server and know just enough to be dangerous. I have
created a DTS package to import a text file and I want to be able to execute
this package via a stored procedure (I am using MS Access 97 as the front
end). I can't find any documentation on how to execute the package from
within a stored procedure. Surely there must be a simple way that I am
overlooking? I am calling the stored proceure from Access via a pass-thru
query. HELLLPPPPP!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Rick

execute dts from a stored procedure?

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 17 May 2001 06:08:01

If you want to know about using DTS you should take a look here:
http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

--
Andrew J. Kelly
Targitmail.com

Quote:> I am a novice to SQL server and know just enough to be dangerous. I have
> created a DTS package to import a text file and I want to be able to
execute
> this package via a stored procedure (I am using MS Access 97 as the front
> end). I can't find any documentation on how to execute the package from
> within a stored procedure. Surely there must be a simple way that I am
> overlooking? I am calling the stored proceure from Access via a pass-thru
> query. HELLLPPPPP!!!!

> Thanks in advance,

> Rick

execute dts from a stored procedure?

Post by Brian Mora » Thu, 17 May 2001 11:29:24

oddly enough there isn's a simple sp interface to do this. You can do the
following:
* schedule the package as an on-demand task and run the task with sp_runtask
* call the package using dtsrun which is a command prompt based tool.

both techniques will work from access...

Keep in mind the DTS packages are essentially client side programs so if you
want the package to 'run on the server', the server has to do the calling...
this means that sp_runtask would be an effective way to address your need.

--
Brian Moran