OBDB Result size <> ISQL Result Set

Post by Darren Gilro » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am having a stored procedure return a result set of 6 rows when called
from ISQL or Enterprise Manager, but the result set appears to have 7
rows when called from Visual Interdev or ASP. The SP is doing some
fairly wierd (but not extremely wierd) stuff, but the result set itself
is tame -- 6 columns, no text fields.

Any Ideas?
-best-darr-
________________________________
Darren Gilroy - Consonus Inc.
Sr. Developer

OBDB Result size <> ISQL Result Set

Post by Gert Draper » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Because the default DB-Library for handling NULLs are different from ODBC.

ODBC turn SET ANSI_DEFAULTS ON by default which implicitly turns on

SET ANSI_NULLS
SET CURSOR_CLOSE_ON_COMMIT
SET ANSI_NULL_DFLT_ON
SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER
SET ANSI_WARNINGS

-GertD

1. Result Sets vs copying result sets into memory.

Does anyone see a problem with copying a result set into a collection
for display vs looping through the result set for display, so I can
return the connection back to the database little faster? I am using
connection pooling, so there is no connection overhead in creating a
new query.

The only performance issue I can see that each result set will take up
memory, but after it's displayed, that memory will be available for
something else, right?  I'm in a situation where up to 500 people can
hit a webpage for data at the same time.

I'm starting to run out of database connections on the web application
and a bigger database isn't an option for me. I can (and do) cache
persistant non-changing data, but have been told that calls for
changing and updated data must always come straight from the database.

Some of the result sets are over 10000 records long and there's no way
to split them. Through sql, I am able to return only rows X through
X+20, so I only return what I am going to show.

Any POSITIVE feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-- ABS

2. Informix DBA/Career Position/Tx

3. IDC results inconsistent with ISQL results!

4. Position Available

5. printing the ISQL result set

6. Server side lic. does not work on some OR 4 clients

7. Open Server result sets not displayed properly in isql

8. common way to store dates in database?

9. <<<RDBMS/UNIX/SYBASE ENGINEERS WANTED>>>>Oakland, CA

10. Comparing Result Set to Result Table

11. Receiving results of a SP result set