Local Group or Global Group

Post by Nick Coope » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi All

I am just setting up SQL7 in a Domain but I can't persuade SQLServer to
accept logins from Local Group members. Users in a Global group can access
the server with no problems.

A Global Group in the Local Group won't make it either.

Any hints gratefully received.

Nick Cooper
PC Support
University of Bath - School of Management

Local Group or Global Group

Post by <schr.. » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

I found the same, are you upgrading from SQL6.5 or are you setting up a
whole new system.  Are you setting up on a stand alone NT server or a BDC

>Hi All

>I am just setting up SQL7 in a Domain but I can't persuade SQLServer to
>accept logins from Local Group members. Users in a Global group can access
>the server with no problems.

>A Global Group in the Local Group won't make it either.

>Any hints gratefully received.

>Nick Cooper
>PC Support
>University of Bath - School of Management

Local Group or Global Group

Post by Nick Coope » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Thanks for a response,  the answers to your questions are...

This is a "from scratch" SQL7.0 install.

It is not a PDC or BDC.

Thanks

Nick Cooper

> I found the same, are you upgrading from SQL6.5 or are you setting up a
> whole new system.  Are you setting up on a stand alone NT server or a BDC

> >Hi All

> >I am just setting up SQL7 in a Domain but I can't persuade SQLServer to
> >accept logins from Local Group members. Users in a Global group can
access
> >the server with no problems.

> >A Global Group in the Local Group won't make it either.

> >Any hints gratefully received.

> >Nick Cooper
> >PC Support
> >University of Bath - School of Management

Local Group or Global Group

Post by Nick Coope » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Your question about standalone/BDC etc. prompted me to thinking that perhaps
the access groups should be setup on the actual server rather than the
domain.

I have tried this and now have an accessible SQL server with access
controlled on the machine rather than from the domain.

The access groups can of course be made up from Domain Users and Domain
Global Groups.

There is an advantage to this as access to the SQL Server is managed with
User Manager on the machine and reduces the clutter in the Domain User
manager.

Nick Cooper

> I found the same, are you upgrading from SQL6.5 or are you setting up a
> whole new system.  Are you setting up on a stand alone NT server or a BDC

> >Hi All

> >I am just setting up SQL7 in a Domain but I can't persuade SQLServer to
> >accept logins from Local Group members. Users in a Global group can
access
> >the server with no problems.

> >A Global Group in the Local Group won't make it either.

> >Any hints gratefully received.

> >Nick Cooper
> >PC Support
> >University of Bath - School of Management

1. Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Hello all,

We are moving from our databases NT4/SQLServer7 to W2K/SQLServer2K, on
 new hardware.  In our NT4/SQLServer7 environment we used Local Server
Groups mapped to sql logins for authentication.  In the SQLServer2K
world we would like to use Domain Local Groups mapped to sql logins
for authentication.

Is there a way (anyway - DMO,TSQL, or 3rd party tool) in sqlserver to
either:
1.) Remap the login accounts to NT doamin groups
    - or -
2.) Copy the permissions from one sql login to another sql login

so we do not have to manually repermissions the databases.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Mark Larsen

2. US-CT: Hartford-Oracle Developer

3. NT Access to Local Groups w/Global IDs

4. UIB + work/temp-table?

5. Rolling Up a Group (or, Grouping a Group)

6. What is OCX and DBX? Please help me!

7. SQL 6.5 security manager fail to enumerate global group members after NT upgrade to SP5

8. Shared Intended Exclusive (SIX) Locks

9. Add Global Group to Database

10. Job Ownership to a global group or to a database role

11. Global Groups and Roles

12. PostgreSQL Global Development Group

13. PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces Version 7.3