Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Post by Kevin Englis » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:27:42

Why doesn't this work?  I always get an empty result set
from the test query:

-- Define and config fulltext
--
create table zfulltext(
        entity_guid uniqueidentifier not null,
        doctype char(3) null,
        entity_report image,
        constraint PK_zfulltext primary key(entity_guid)
)
go
insert into zfulltext values ('{77660E02-172D-4390-95FC-
go
exec sp_fulltext_catalog N'CI_zfulltext', N'create'
go
exec sp_fulltext_table N'[dbo].[zfulltext]', N'create',
N'CI_zfulltext', 'PK_zfulltext'
go
exec sp_fulltext_column N'[dbo].[zfulltext]',
N'entity_report', N'add', 1033, 'doctype'
go
exec sp_fulltext_table N'[dbo].[zfulltext]', N'activate'
go
exec sp_fulltext_catalog N'CI_zfulltext', N'start_full'
go

-- Test it out
--
select * from containstable(zfulltext, *, 'xyzzy')
-- (Empty result set)

The following Info message is logged to the Application
Event Log by 'Microsoft Search', Category=Gatherer:
The end of crawl for project <SQLServer$ATLAS
SQL0003300020> has been detected. The Gatherer
successfully processed 3 documents totaling 0K. It failed
to filter 0 documents. 0 URLs could not be reached or were
denied access.

If I make the document larger than 1k, the message above
still reads 0K which makes me think that SQL Server is
sending nothing to the indexer for some reason.

Everytime I run this script I get a popup error from
mssdmn.exe:
'The instruction at "0x016ee73" referenced  memory
at "0x017a1fb0". The memory could not be "read".'

The popup occurs a couple of seconds after the completion
of the script.

What the heck is MSSDMN anyway?

I was getting the following error from Source=SQLFTHNDLR
in the Application Event Log:
'One or more documents stored in image columns with
extension '' did not get full-text  indexed because
Note:  These documents will  not be passed to MSSearch for
indexing, and therefore this failure will not be
reflected  in the end of crawl summary statistics.'

I stopped getting this error after downloading xmlfilter
from Microsoft.  I think this means the xmlfilter is now
being invoked, but I have not been able to catch the
xmlfilter in a loaded state using listdlls.

Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Post by John Kan » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:47:40

Kevin,
SQL Server 2000 Full-Text Search (FTS) does not support XML
"out-of-the-box". See BOL title "supported image filters" for those filters
that are supported out of the box. As you discovered you must install the
SPS XML IFilter in order to FT Index XML files contained in and IMAGE column
with the correct "file extension" (your doctype column) of XML.

MSSdmn = "Search Filter Daemon" that is launched by the MSSearch service
when FT Indexing files, such as MS Word, Excel, etc...

Regards,
John

Quote:> Why doesn't this work?  I always get an empty result set
> from the test query:

> -- Define and config fulltext
> --
> create table zfulltext(
> entity_guid uniqueidentifier not null,
> doctype char(3) null,
> entity_report image,
> constraint PK_zfulltext primary key(entity_guid)
> )
> go
> insert into zfulltext values ('{77660E02-172D-4390-95FC-
> go
> exec sp_fulltext_catalog N'CI_zfulltext', N'create'
> go
> exec sp_fulltext_table N'[dbo].[zfulltext]', N'create',
> N'CI_zfulltext', 'PK_zfulltext'
> go
> exec sp_fulltext_column N'[dbo].[zfulltext]',
> N'entity_report', N'add', 1033, 'doctype'
> go
> exec sp_fulltext_table N'[dbo].[zfulltext]', N'activate'
> go
> exec sp_fulltext_catalog N'CI_zfulltext', N'start_full'
> go

> -- Test it out
> --
> select * from containstable(zfulltext, *, 'xyzzy')
> -- (Empty result set)

> The following Info message is logged to the Application
> Event Log by 'Microsoft Search', Category=Gatherer:
> The end of crawl for project <SQLServer$ATLAS
> SQL0003300020> has been detected. The Gatherer
> successfully processed 3 documents totaling 0K. It failed
> to filter 0 documents. 0 URLs could not be reached or were
> denied access.

> If I make the document larger than 1k, the message above
> still reads 0K which makes me think that SQL Server is
> sending nothing to the indexer for some reason.

> Everytime I run this script I get a popup error from
> mssdmn.exe:
> 'The instruction at "0x016ee73" referenced  memory
> at "0x017a1fb0". The memory could not be "read".'

> The popup occurs a couple of seconds after the completion
> of the script.

> What the heck is MSSDMN anyway?

> I was getting the following error from Source=SQLFTHNDLR
> in the Application Event Log:
> 'One or more documents stored in image columns with
> extension '' did not get full-text  indexed because
> Note:  These documents will  not be passed to MSSearch for
> indexing, and therefore this failure will not be
> reflected  in the end of crawl summary statistics.'

> I stopped getting this error after downloading xmlfilter
> from Microsoft.  I think this means the xmlfilter is now
> being invoked, but I have not been able to catch the
> xmlfilter in a loaded state using listdlls.

Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Post by Kevin Englis » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:18:26

More Information:

If I force mssdmn.exe to run under the windbg de*, I
do not see the exception and the test queries work!

This looks like a bug in mssdmn.exe.

Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Post by John Kan » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:56:06

Kevin,
Was the XML IFilter installed on the server at the time you ran mssdmn under
the windbg de* and tested it with the following SQL FTS query: select *
from containstable(zfulltext, *, 'xyzzy') on the following data:
insert into zfulltext values ('{77660E02-172D-4390-95FC-00CACC3AA10A}',

As you stated you "I stopped getting this error after downloading xmlfilter
from Microsoft" and as I stated SQL Server does not work with XML data
"out-of-the-box" and only works with the documented "image filters" as
documented in the BOL.

At best this is a doc bug as the BOL does not specifically state that XML is
not supported....
Regards,
John

Quote:> More Information:

> If I force mssdmn.exe to run under the windbg de*, I
> do not see the exception and the test queries work!

> This looks like a bug in mssdmn.exe.

Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Post by Kevin Englis » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:40:17

And more information:  Now if I do not force mssdmn to run
under the de*, I still get the error popup:

The instruction at "0x016aee73" referenced memory
at "0x017a1fb0".  The memory could not be "read"

But now when I run the test queries they work.  I was
waiting until after mssdmn was exiting/crashing before
running the test queries.

Also the exception is definitely occuring in XMLFilter.dll
at code offset ee73.

Its as if getting the data to go through once fixed
something?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>More Information:

>If I force mssdmn.exe to run under the windbg de*, I
>do not see the exception and the test queries work!

>This looks like a bug in mssdmn.exe.

Fulltext search of XML not working, mssdmn crashes

Post by Hilary Cotte » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:21:27

your xlm is not well formed.

It should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<book title="MyBook">
       This a sample book
       <author>
             First Last
       </author>
</book>

The XML content filter can emit the following as
properties:

Sub-elements of the root element when the sub-elements
have no child elements.
Attributes of the root element and attributes of sub-
elements of the root element.

So in our case you will be able to index the attributes of
Title which is my book, and AUthor which is First Last,
but not TItle - which is this is a sample book.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Why doesn't this work?  I always get an empty result set
>from the test query:

>-- Define and config fulltext
>--
>create table zfulltext(
>    entity_guid uniqueidentifier not null,
>    doctype char(3) null,
>    entity_report image,
>    constraint PK_zfulltext primary key(entity_guid)
>)
>go
>insert into zfulltext values ('{77660E02-172D-4390-95FC-
>go
>exec sp_fulltext_catalog N'CI_zfulltext', N'create'
>go
>exec sp_fulltext_table N'[dbo].[zfulltext]', N'create',
>N'CI_zfulltext', 'PK_zfulltext'
>go
>exec sp_fulltext_column N'[dbo].[zfulltext]',
>N'entity_report', N'add', 1033, 'doctype'
>go
>exec sp_fulltext_table N'[dbo].[zfulltext]', N'activate'
>go
>exec sp_fulltext_catalog N'CI_zfulltext', N'start_full'
>go

>-- Test it out
>--
>select * from containstable(zfulltext, *, 'xyzzy')
>-- (Empty result set)

>The following Info message is logged to the Application
>Event Log by 'Microsoft Search', Category=Gatherer:
>The end of crawl for project <SQLServer$ATLAS
>SQL0003300020> has been detected. The Gatherer
>successfully processed 3 documents totaling 0K. It failed
>to filter 0 documents. 0 URLs could not be reached or
were
>denied access.

>If I make the document larger than 1k, the message above
>still reads 0K which makes me think that SQL Server is
>sending nothing to the indexer for some reason.

>Everytime I run this script I get a popup error from
>mssdmn.exe:
>'The instruction at "0x016ee73" referenced  memory
>at "0x017a1fb0". The memory could not be "read".'

>The popup occurs a couple of seconds after the completion
>of the script.

>What the heck is MSSDMN anyway?

>I was getting the following error from Source=SQLFTHNDLR
>in the Application Event Log:
>'One or more documents stored in image columns with
>extension '' did not get full-text  indexed because
>Note:  These documents will  not be passed to MSSearch
for
>indexing, and therefore this failure will not be
>reflected  in the end of crawl summary statistics.'

>I stopped getting this error after downloading xmlfilter
>from Microsoft.  I think this means the xmlfilter is now
>being invoked, but I have not been able to catch the
>xmlfilter in a loaded state using listdlls.

>.

1. HELP! mssdmn.exe keeps crashing after installing XMLFilter

Hello, I've installed XMLFilter as instructed through the
MS website on my Win2000 machine.  Then I got the error in
a dialog box periodically:

mssdmn.exe - Application Error
------------------------------
The instruction at "0x014dede7" referenced memory
at "0x01611fb0". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

                   [OK]

Why is that - is the XMLFilter causing the crash?  How can
I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- kasumi

2. sql server 7

3. Is fulltext search working reliably on Text field?

4. Sybase heterogeneous copy

5. How does the fulltext search work?

6. sql exception

7. Fulltext search no longer works

8. Red Hat news hits Slashdot

9. SQL search - not Fulltext

10. sql fulltext does not search for national words

11. FullText on HTML just will not work!

12. Fulltext Search AND web site search

13. Please help: re-install not working after crash