Trouble with ARCserv backup

Post by Tom Nielse » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

When I run a backup, one of the database files cant be backed up by
ARCserve. It tells me to look in the file dbasql60.log

In the log file I found the following:

09/05/98 01:31 DUMP TRANsaction is not allowed while the trunc. log on
chkpt. option is enabled: use DUMP DATABASE, or disable the option with
sp_dboption.
09/05/98 01:31 SQL Server Error: Check messages from SQL Server
09/05/98 01:31 SQL Server Error: errno = 10007
09/05/98 01:31 SQL Server Message: General SQL Server error: Check messages
from the SQL Server.

How do i disable the trunc log om chkpt, where do I do it, what is
sp_dboption and where do I find it ?

What is the trunc.log and why is it enabled ? (What is it used for ?)

Please help me fast, I dont like not having a full backup of the databases.

Kind regards

Tom Nielsen

Trouble with ARCserv backup

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Tom,

Trunc log on... means that SQL Server truncates the transaction log every
minute. Since incremental backup is saving the transaction log, it cannot be
used if you "throw away" its contents every minute.
Don't ask me why it is set. It is false by default, so somebody apparently
set it to true.
You can right-click the database in Enterprise Manager, Edit and Options to
turn this off. Of you can, from a query windows execute:
sp_dboption dbname, 'trunc', false

Sp_dboption is documented in Books Online.
--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Trouble with ARCserv backup

Post by Mike Surcou » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

If truncate log on checkpoint is the option you want but you want to avoid
the error you describe then
1. In the tree view of the backup window right click on the database in
question
2. Select DBAgent option
3. Uncheck backup transaction log.

Regards Mike

>When I run a backup, one of the database files cant be backed up by
>ARCserve. It tells me to look in the file dbasql60.log

>In the log file I found the following:

>09/05/98 01:31 DUMP TRANsaction is not allowed while the trunc. log on
>chkpt. option is enabled: use DUMP DATABASE, or disable the option with
>sp_dboption.
>09/05/98 01:31 SQL Server Error: Check messages from SQL Server
>09/05/98 01:31 SQL Server Error: errno = 10007
>09/05/98 01:31 SQL Server Message: General SQL Server error: Check messages
>from the SQL Server.

>How do i disable the trunc log om chkpt, where do I do it, what is
>sp_dboption and where do I find it ?

>What is the trunc.log and why is it enabled ? (What is it used for ?)

>Please help me fast, I dont like not having a full backup of the
databases.

>Kind regards

>Tom Nielsen

1. SQL Backup Plans with ArcServ

I am setting up a backup schedule for our SQL databases.  Our network
administrators have recently installed ArcServ to handle all backups.  We
will be backing up to tape.  What I need to know is how to set up our
maintenance plan to back up to the ArcServ client.  Is it as simple as just
designating the backup device in the maintenance wizard?

2. SPL problem limiting rows returned

3. Arcserv SQL backup agent

4. Help! @@identity & uniqueidentifier

5. Backup trouble

6. Views and 0x80040E14

7. Enterprise Backup Utility trouble

8. Printer Driver for IBM 4019 Laser Printer

9. datawarehouse backup trouble...

10. Trouble Restoring TransLog after full backup- Help

11. Trouble reading Informix backup on DLT device.

12. Restore backup troubles

13. Backup trouble with RAID