Dumb ASP/SQL Question by newbie

Post by Black Plasti » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:10:55

I'm having to do a crash self learning job with sql server 7 for use in asp
(the access database has been outgrown)

I've managed to set the database up etc but I'm getting what appears to be a
wierd connection string problem. This may be just my lack of experience with
it. For example, my database is called: engine and the main guts of it lives
in: C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf

I take it initial file and initial catalog is correct. When I use asp to
connect to it I get an error

constring = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False; User ID=sa;
Initial Catalog=engine; Initial File
Name=C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf"

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
/~gizmosql/testing.asp, line 12

If I change the initial catalog line (just put a 1 in before it) it works???
This bothers me because I can't understand why!

constring = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False; User ID=sa;
Initial Catalog=1engine; Initial File
Name=C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf"

What am I failing to understand here???

Dumb ASP/SQL Question by newbie

Post by Scott Whigha » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:56:36

With SQL Server you do not need to put in the Initial File parameter.

Quote:> I'm having to do a crash self learning job with sql server 7 for use in
asp
> (the access database has been outgrown)

> I've managed to set the database up etc but I'm getting what appears to be
> wierd connection string problem. This may be just my lack of experience
with
> it. For example, my database is called: engine and the main guts of it
lives
> in: C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf

> I take it initial file and initial catalog is correct. When I use asp to
> connect to it I get an error

> constring = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False; User ID=sa;
> Initial Catalog=engine; Initial File
> Name=C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf"

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
> /~gizmosql/testing.asp, line 12

> If I change the initial catalog line (just put a 1 in before it) it
works???
> This bothers me because I can't understand why!

> constring = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False; User ID=sa;
> Initial Catalog=1engine; Initial File
> Name=C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf"

> What am I failing to understand here???

1. Dumb SQL/ASP newbie question

[...]

2. Slow query and performance counters

3. Dumb Newbie Question datatype question

4. Corel Cancels Enterprise Verison of Paradox.

5. Really dumb newbie question

6. Full-Text Search: [Workaround] for 80004002 error during SP3 upgrade/repopulation

7. Very dumb question from Newbie

8. Web Database Survey

9. Dumb newbie question

10. Dumb question from newbie