Multiple time dimensions in a single cube

Multiple time dimensions in a single cube

Post by Ross Dembeck » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Has anyone used a periods table to create both Calendar year dimension
and a Fiscal Year Dimension?

Using the OLAP Manager, I could easily enough define the 2 dimensions
from the same periods table (in fact you can use the FoodMart sample
to see for yourself).

However, when processing the cube, I get an error:

ODBC error: Duplicate output destination '[periods].[the_date]'.;3063;
Time:3/18/99 1:36:41 PM

Note: I dod not define them as "time dimension" according to the
dimension wizard, I simply created the dimensions from my periods
table by manually picking the levels.

When I get rid of either the Fiscal or Calendar dimension, processing
proceeds normally and I get a nice cube. Any clues?

Thanks

ross at dembecki dot com

Multiple time dimensions in a single cube

Post by Trevor Dwye » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Ross,

Have you tried renaming the values within the dimensions? So within the cube
editor you can right click on the dimension value and rename the Calendar
dimension date to calendar_date, and of course with the fiscal dimension
name the value fiscal date. I wonder if that will then let you build your
cube.

There are probably a number of other ways for this to be done, but try it
out.

I recently created an Time Dimension based on start date and then created
another customer dimension called calendar which broke the start date into
year, month, day. The cube processed ok.

Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer - SQL Server MVP

>Hi,

>Has anyone used a periods table to create both Calendar year dimension
>and a Fiscal Year Dimension?

>Using the OLAP Manager, I could easily enough define the 2 dimensions
>from the same periods table (in fact you can use the FoodMart sample
>to see for yourself).

>However, when processing the cube, I get an error:

>ODBC error: Duplicate output destination '[periods].[the_date]'.;3063;
>Time:3/18/99 1:36:41 PM

>Note: I dod not define them as "time dimension" according to the
>dimension wizard, I simply created the dimensions from my periods
>table by manually picking the levels.

>When I get rid of either the Fiscal or Calendar dimension, processing
>proceeds normally and I get a nice cube. Any clues?

>Thanks

>ross at dembecki dot com

Multiple time dimensions in a single cube

Post by Joe Vivon » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ross,
    Wouldn't you want both Calendar Year & Fiscal Years in the same time
dimension, just with different 1st level members...  This is how our is laid
out:
        Time
                Fiscal Years
                    1998
                        Q1
                            Jan
                            Feb
                Life To Date
                    1998
                        Q1
                            Jan
                            Feb

We have a calendar table in our application (similar to a production
schedule), which has 2 rows for each date,  one for the Fiscal Years member
tree & one for the Life To Date member tree.  Since Fiscal Years & Calendar
Date have NO intersections, it was a waste of aggregations & a dimension....

Joe
---
Joe Vivona
VP Applications Development
KPI Technologies
http://www.kpi-tech.com

Quote:> Hi,

> Has anyone used a periods table to create both Calendar year dimension
> and a Fiscal Year Dimension?

> Using the OLAP Manager, I could easily enough define the 2 dimensions
> from the same periods table (in fact you can use the FoodMart sample
> to see for yourself).

> However, when processing the cube, I get an error:

> ODBC error: Duplicate output destination '[periods].[the_date]'.;3063;
> Time:3/18/99 1:36:41 PM

> Note: I dod not define them as "time dimension" according to the
> dimension wizard, I simply created the dimensions from my periods
> table by manually picking the levels.

> When I get rid of either the Fiscal or Calendar dimension, processing
> proceeds normally and I get a nice cube. Any clues?

> Thanks

> ross at dembecki dot com

1. Create a virtual cube from two cubes with different time dimensions(levels)

Hello,

We have two cubes:
1. Cube 1 has a time dimension with the levels year-month
2. Cube 2 has a time dimension with the levels year-month-day

We want to create a virtual cube from these two cubes. We tried to create a
new shared time dimension Year-Month-Day and changed the member property
"Disabled" of the Day level to true when using the dimension in Cube 1. But
the aggregated sum of the measure at the Month level in the cube is still
wrong. Does anyone know how the property "Disabled" is supposed to work?

Disabled means - "Determines whether the level is disabled. Disabled levels
are not available in the cube. They are used when the most detailed level of
data is not available in the fact table"..

We can fix this in the fact table behind Cube 1 (add the day 01 to every
time member), but we would like to do it in the cube.

Any suggestions?

/Anneli

2. Open & Close Database

3. Oracle Express: Multiple hierarchies for a single dimension ?

4. SEATTLE - ORACLE DBA

5. Cube Editor: Multiple Fact Table links to same Dimension Table

6. Optimization tips?

7. virtual cube, limits and multiple versions of same dimensions

8. JDBC NullPointer exception

9. Problem creating a .cub from a cube with multiple hierarchies in a dimension

10. Using Multiple Fact Tables in a Single Cube?

11. Time dimension members sorting improperly when fetching cellset from cube

12. inventory cube but 4 time dimension are used...

13. Time Dimensions In Local Cube