ODBC Update problem

Post by Guy Boulange » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have a MS Access 97 app running on 3 Win NT 4.0 sp6 machines.

All 3 machines are configured identical.

The MS Access app does not behave the same way on the 3 machines.

Ex:
Using VBA code in Access, I link to SQL Server 7,0 sp2.

From 1 machine, everything works fine.
From 2 of the machines, the tables are linked but in read only mode !

The table has a unique index and a timestamp field. Using the latest ODBC
drivers (msdac 2.1)

Does anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem ?

Thanks.

Guy

ODBC Update problem

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Guy - are you connecting with the same user credentials/rights on all machines?
 Run ODBC applet and check the versions of the ODBC files and SQL driver.  Run
SQL client config and check the versions of SQL netl;ibs are the same

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. ODBC update problem

Hello all.

I'm in the process of adding simple ODBC functionnality to our in-house
software. So far I can retrieve text & int data and then update the
database. I'm using win2000, Visual Studio 6 (w/ C), SQL Server 2000 and the
Northwind demo database. I had previously no experience with SQL nor ODBC.

This Query is my problem right now. It aims to change the city of an
employee, based on his primary key that was retrieved earlier. I had no
problem with update queries using string comparison (ie : where "firstname"
like 'andrew' is ok), but this here, using an int as a comparison, just
hangs on execution.

The same query, run in Query Analyzer, works just fine, so the problem is
just when I make the ODBC call in C.

I tried tracing the driver call from Query Analyzer and my program call, but
they are the same (programmed one just seems to run forever).

Query (northwind) :

pszQuery <=> update "Employees" set "City" = 'Citytest' where "EmployeeID" =
1
SQLExecDirect(hstmt1,pszQuery,SQL_NTS)

Does anyone here have an idea about this ? I may be doing something stupid,
but the FAQ didn't seem to have a solution for me...

Many thanks in advance.

--

2. Pervasive SQL 7

3. ODBC update problem...... Help Please

4. MODIFY statement does not timeout

5. ADO-ODBC Update problem

6. CA-El Segundo-240192--UNIX-Visual Basic-SQL-SQLSERVER-ORACLE-SYBASE-Informix-ODB

7. ODBC-update problem with Jet-Engine and null values

8. NEWBIE Q? - Delphi and "multi-user" databases

9. ODBC update-Problem

10. ODBC update problem

11. Problem with dbWeb record update via ODBC

12. Problems with ODBC Cursor library when using Update

13. Problem updating SQL Server via ODBC/CRecordset