Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by Michael Brow » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:39:24

Hello,

I am very new to SQL server.  I am trying to do something quite simple:
execute some sql within the SQL Query Analyzer.  The sql seems to execute in
that I receive the "The command(s) completed successfully" message.  However
I don't see that it really worked.  In this case, I have some sql that
creates a table and defines fields within the table.  From the EM I go to
look at the tables and I don't see my table.

Also, I tried creating a stored procedure and then from within the Query
Analyzer I did an "EXEC mysp"  It too acted like it completed successfully,
however, still no table.  I also noticed that "EXEC " and anything after it
came back with the same successful message.

- Michael

--
Michael R. Brown

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by BP Margoli » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:19:37

Michael,

I suspect that you have to refresh the table and the stored procedure nodes
in Enterprise Manager. EM does not continually poll SQL Server to determine
if there have been changes.

To refresh the nodes, right click on the node and select the Refresh option.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> Hello,

> I am very new to SQL server.  I am trying to do something quite simple:
> execute some sql within the SQL Query Analyzer.  The sql seems to execute
in
> that I receive the "The command(s) completed successfully" message.
However
> I don't see that it really worked.  In this case, I have some sql that
> creates a table and defines fields within the table.  From the EM I go to
> look at the tables and I don't see my table.

> Also, I tried creating a stored procedure and then from within the Query
> Analyzer I did an "EXEC mysp"  It too acted like it completed
successfully,
> however, still no table.  I also noticed that "EXEC " and anything after
it
> came back with the same successful message.

> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> - Michael

> --
> Michael R. Brown

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by Michael Brow » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:44:54

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that I already did that.  That was the
first thing I tried.

Anyway, here is the sql that I am trying to execute:

CREATE TABLE [aaaaa] (
 [CallDate2] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL ,
 [FromNumber] [nvarchar] (10) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL
,
 [ToNumber] [nvarchar] (12) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL ,
 [ConnectTime] [nvarchar] (6) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL
,
 [CallType] [nvarchar] (2) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL ,
 [AgentID] [int] NOT NULL ,
 [ContactID] [int] NOT NULL ,
 [CallDuration] [smallint] NOT NULL ,
 [CallRevenue] [int] NULL ,
 [AdjustedRevenue] [int] NOT NULL ,
 [BadDebtAmt] [money] NULL ,
 [NIFAmt] [money] NULL ,
 [PIF] [int] NULL ,
 [CallDate] [nvarchar] (6) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL ,
 [CallPeriod] [nvarchar] (1) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
 [ReservedArea] [nvarchar] (2) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
 [RecordType] [int] NOT NULL ,
 [AlternateKey] [nvarchar] (50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
 [CreditCardType] [nvarchar] (10) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL
,
 [CreditCardNumber] [nvarchar] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
NULL ,
 [LoadDate] [smalldatetime] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_tblCallsFeb_LoadDate]
DEFAULT (getdate()),
 [CallYrMo] [nvarchar] (6) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
 [ChargeBackFlag] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_tblCallsFeb_ChargeBackFlag]
DEFAULT (0),
 [CDR80Flag] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_tblCallsFeb_CDR80Flag] DEFAULT
(0),
 [ResponseCode] [nvarchar] (3) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
 [InputFileName] [nvarchar] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
 [ImportDate] [smalldatetime] NULL ,
 [InputDate] [smalldatetime] NULL ,
 [InputLinkDate] [smalldatetime] NULL ,
 [ClientProcessedDate] [smalldatetime] NULL ,
 [AgentProcessedDate] [smalldatetime] NULL ,
 [MasterProcessDate] [smalldatetime] NULL ,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_tblCallsFeb] PRIMARY KEY  CLUSTERED
 (
  [CallDate2],
  [FromNumber],
  [ToNumber],
  [ConnectTime]
 )  ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

Thanks,
- Michael

> Michael,

> I suspect that you have to refresh the table and the stored procedure
nodes
> in Enterprise Manager. EM does not continually poll SQL Server to
determine
> if there have been changes.

> To refresh the nodes, right click on the node and select the Refresh
option.

> BP Margolin
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > Hello,

> > I am very new to SQL server.  I am trying to do something quite simple:
> > execute some sql within the SQL Query Analyzer.  The sql seems to
execute
> in
> > that I receive the "The command(s) completed successfully" message.
> However
> > I don't see that it really worked.  In this case, I have some sql that
> > creates a table and defines fields within the table.  From the EM I go
> > look at the tables and I don't see my table.

> > Also, I tried creating a stored procedure and then from within the Query
> > Analyzer I did an "EXEC mysp"  It too acted like it completed
> successfully,
> > however, still no table.  I also noticed that "EXEC " and anything after
> it
> > came back with the same successful message.

> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,
> > - Michael

> > --
> > Michael R. Brown

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by BP Margoli » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:58:31

Michael,

Second guess ... are you positive that you are looking in the correct
database ?

Perhaps you accidentally created them in the master database ... I remember
that when I was new to SQL Server I would continually forget to choose my
database in Query Analyzer, and wound up creating all sorts of stuff in the
master database   :-)

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that I already did that.  That was the
> [...]

> > However
> > > I don't see that it really worked.  In this case, I have some sql that
> > > creates a table and defines fields within the table.  From the EM I go
> > > look at the tables and I don't see my table.

> > > Also, I tried creating a stored procedure and then from within the
Query
> > > Analyzer I did an "EXEC mysp"  It too acted like it completed
> > successfully,
> > > however, still no table.  I also noticed that "EXEC " and anything
after
> > it
> > > came back with the same successful message.

> > > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanks,
> > > - Michael

> > > --
> > > Michael R. Brown

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by Michael Brow » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:32:37

BP,

I thought of that too.  I checked every database on my server thinking that
I was creating it in some other database; I don't find it anywhere.

Could there be some sort of security issue and I just am not receiving an
error?  Like I said in the original message, I am also able to do an "EXEC "
with anything after it and it says that it was successful -- even with bogus
sp names.

- Michael

> [...]

> > nodes
> > > in Enterprise Manager. EM does not continually poll SQL Server to
> > determine
> > > if there have been changes.

> > > To refresh the nodes, right click on the node and select the Refresh
> > option.

> > > BP Margolin
> > > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
> which
> > > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> simple:
> > execute
> > > in
> > > However

> Query
> > > successfully,
> after
> > > it

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by Michael Brow » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:38:22

BP,

I have also tried this:

CREATE TABLE [db].[dbo].[aaaaa] ...

and that didn't work either.

- Michael

> [...]

> > nodes
> > > in Enterprise Manager. EM does not continually poll SQL Server to
> > determine
> > > if there have been changes.

> > > To refresh the nodes, right click on the node and select the Refresh
> > option.

> > > BP Margolin
> > > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
> which
> > > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> simple:
> > execute
> > > in
> > > However

> Query
> > > successfully,
> after
> > > it

Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

Post by Michael Brow » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:49:17

Got it.  I don't know what happened, but all I did was reboot the server and
I tried it again and it worked!  Go figure.

Thanks for your help BP.

- Michael

> [...]

> >   [ConnectTime]
> >  )  ON [PRIMARY]
> > ) ON [PRIMARY]
> > GO

> > Thanks,
> > - Michael

> > > Michael,

> > > I suspect that you have to refresh the table and the stored procedure
> > nodes
> > > in Enterprise Manager. EM does not continually poll SQL Server to
> > determine
> > > if there have been changes.

> > > To refresh the nodes, right click on the node and select the Refresh
> > option.

> > > BP Margolin
> > > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
> which
> > > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

1. move sql server to brand new server

Hello there,
We are going to move the SQL server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3) to a brand new
server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3). The new server name is different from the
old server. There are microsoft project central server to run on the old
server?
How should I do to keep the PJC and other user database continue working
when I move?
Is there any documents to help me?

any ideas?
Thanks.

2. DataSet finishes to navigate...

3. restore all database to a brand new server

4. Naming Conventions

5. Brand new SCO Open Server 5.0.4 with 5-user license

6. Determining Record Locks

7. Performance Counters missing on brand new install of SQL 7

8. HELP! INFORMIX Error -908 when using Router

9. Brand new Web Based Intro to SQL Tutorial w/ live practice Database

10. New to SQL - simple question...