Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

Post by Frank Bake » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know when Microsoft will stop supporting 6.5.?

For example, you call them with proven bug and they tell you that the only
solution available is to rev up to 7.0, as opposed to working for a bug fix
/ hotfix / SP for 6.5.

Any ideas on when this might happen?

Thanks,

Frank

Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

Post by Brian Mora » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

MS's official policy is to always support at least current minus one major
release. SQL Server 6.5 will be supported officially until Shiloh (SQL 7.5
or whatever they call it...) comes out. MS is often lenient on these
policies and will sometimes support things longer than that.

--
Brian Moran

Quote:> Does anyone know when Microsoft will stop supporting 6.5.?

> For example, you call them with proven bug and they tell you that the only
> solution available is to rev up to 7.0, as opposed to working for a bug
fix
> / hotfix / SP for 6.5.

> Any ideas on when this might happen?

> Thanks,

> Frank

Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

Post by Yuri Budilo » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

it depends if SQL Server 7.5 is pronounced a "major" release by
Microsoft.....I fear that SQL Sloppy 6.5/6.0 will still be officially
"supported" until SQL Server 8.0 comes out.....But please don't let all of
this stop you from upgrading to SQL Server 7.0+ ASAP!
--
Yuri Budilov (always expressing personal opinions only)
Melbourne, Australia

| MS's official policy is to always support at least current minus one major
| release. SQL Server 6.5 will be supported officially until Shiloh (SQL 7.5
| or whatever they call it...) comes out. MS is often lenient on these
| policies and will sometimes support things longer than that.
|
| --
| Brian Moran

| > Does anyone know when Microsoft will stop supporting 6.5.?
| >
| > For example, you call them with proven bug and they tell you that the
only
| > solution available is to rev up to 7.0, as opposed to working for a bug
| fix
| > / hotfix / SP for 6.5.
| >
| > Any ideas on when this might happen?
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Frank

Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Frank,

Quote:> Does anyone know when Microsoft will stop supporting 6.5.?

Q.  How much longer will MS support SQL 6.5 for?
(v1.0  1999.05.12)

A.  As a rule of thumb :-

MS provide support for at least the current and previous version of a product
(service-packs don't count).  So with 6.5 and 7.0 out MS will support 6.5 until
the next version of SQL comes out.  Whether this new version is called SQL 7.1,
7.5, 8.0, 2000 etc. is up to the marketeers and is irrelevant for this
discussion.  Until this time MS will be actively fixing the code and issuing
servicepacks and hotfixes.

After that MS continue to provide support for as long as they feel the customer
base warrants it.  This is weighed up against the fact that MS support doesn't
make the company any money and they do want to encourage users to upgrade
(because that does make them money).  For 6.5 I would expect this to be a
fairly long period given the installed-base of 6.5.  During this time the
likelihood of servicepacks decreases but for major problems or major customers
you will at least get hot-fixes written.

Once this period finishes MS finishes "active" support.  The source-code is
still available but no more fixes are written.  MS will still take a support
call and help out with a problem - be it performance, corruption etc.  They
will help you fix the problem or provide workarounds, but they will not write
fixes.  If a bug is found they will test it against the latest version code and
fix it in that if necessary, but your only option to get the fix would be to
upgrade.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

1. Microsoft Sql Server Training : Hands-On, Self-Paced Training for Microsoft Sql Server Version 6.5

Microsoft Sql Server Training : Hands-On, Self-Paced Training for
Microsoft Sql Server Version 6.5

MS-Press

$159 at Amazon.com

Is this a good buy for learning SQL 6.5 admin, and programming skills
for a novice to intermediate user?

Thanks,

2. test-ignore

3. connectin to a remote SQLServer?

4. Can we import layouts?

5. Trigger Testing

6. migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5

7. SQL Debugger for Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 and 6.5

8. New Transact-SQL Debugger for Microsoft SQL Server 6.5/7.0