a lot of _WA_SYS indexes and 0 rows in mmc console

a lot of _WA_SYS indexes and 0 rows in mmc console

Post by Massimo Camplon » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:07:46

Hi workers,
I have some dbs in wich I find a lot of _wa_sys* indexes and 0 zero rows in
the mmc console

I turned off the auto-create-statistics that done this sysindexes but it
don't delete them.

The bad thing that I see are these zero rows, even if data are inside.

I done the dbcc updateusage without result.

Can it give me some problems?

a lot of thanks for your answers

____________________________

Massimo Camplone
Italy IT Senior Consultant

ICQ UIN at 11871749
____________________________

a lot of _WA_SYS indexes and 0 rows in mmc console

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:35:13

These are not indexes. It is auto-generated statistics. A good thing.
To read more, see CREATE STATISTICS and DROP STATISTICS.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Hi workers,
> I have some dbs in wich I find a lot of _wa_sys* indexes and 0 zero rows in
> the mmc console

> I turned off the auto-create-statistics that done this sysindexes but it
> don't delete them.

> The bad thing that I see are these zero rows, even if data are inside.

> I done the dbcc updateusage without result.

> Can it give me some problems?

> a lot of thanks for your answers

> ____________________________

> Massimo Camplone
> Italy IT Senior Consultant

> ICQ UIN at 11871749
> ____________________________

a lot of _WA_SYS indexes and 0 rows in mmc console

Post by Massimo Camplon » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:03:02

Thanks Tibor,
I readed about statistics, but the thing that let me perplexed and scares to
me are the 0 rows in the mmc console

Nothing to know or do about them?

Quote:> These are not indexes. It is auto-generated statistics. A good thing.

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > Hi workers,
> > I have some dbs in wich I find a lot of _wa_sys* indexes and 0 zero rows
in
> > the mmc console

> > I turned off the auto-create-statistics that done this sysindexes but it
> > don't delete them.

> > The bad thing that I see are these zero rows, even if data are inside.

> > I done the dbcc updateusage without result.

> > Can it give me some problems?

> > a lot of thanks for your answers

> > ____________________________

> > Massimo Camplone
> > Italy IT Senior Consultant

> > ICQ UIN at 11871749
> > ____________________________

a lot of _WA_SYS indexes and 0 rows in mmc console

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:55:28

The row thing is only relevant for tables (and indexes, depending on how you look at it). Not
statistics. So, don't worry about it.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Thanks Tibor,
> I readed about statistics, but the thing that let me perplexed and scares to
> me are the 0 rows in the mmc console

> Nothing to know or do about them?

> > These are not indexes. It is auto-generated statistics. A good thing.
> > To read more, see CREATE STATISTICS and DROP STATISTICS.

> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > Archive at:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > > Hi workers,
> > > I have some dbs in wich I find a lot of _wa_sys* indexes and 0 zero rows
> in
> > > the mmc console

> > > I turned off the auto-create-statistics that done this sysindexes but it
> > > don't delete them.

> > > The bad thing that I see are these zero rows, even if data are inside.

> > > I done the dbcc updateusage without result.

> > > Can it give me some problems?

> > > a lot of thanks for your answers

> > > ____________________________

> > > Massimo Camplone
> > > Italy IT Senior Consultant

> > > ICQ UIN at 11871749
> > > ____________________________

1. Wa_sys indexes still there after adding real indexes

I use SQL server 7. I've created some new indexes and see that the
Wa_sys indexes still exist even though I've created 'real' indexes on
the columns.  From what I've read,these Wa_sys indexes are really
statistics created by sql server to help with queries when a real
index isn't available. I know I can get rid of them by dropping
statistics, but have read to be wary of dropping them.  Is it ok (or
rather should I) drop the Wa_sys index if I've now got a real index on
the column?

2. SQL Query Parser Bug

3. MMC Console problem ?

4. SQL 7.0 AND CLUSTER

5. MMC Console Error

6. "stand-alone" databases? introductory texts on databases, etc.

7. Enterprise Mgr, MMC, and saving console settings

8. Method '~' of object '~' failed

9. Oracle 8i Administrative Assistant and Microsoft Management Console (MMC) problem

10. Use MMC console remotely

11. Indexes beginning with _WA_Sys_

12. Indexes '_Wa_Sys'

13. Source of Phantom Indexes with names like _WA_SYS% ?