VS Ent. Database Designer ???

Post by Ron Jone » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
  I am a VS 6.0 Enterprise edition owner.

  I am confused about something, because it appears to me that something
(actually 2 something's) are MISSING from the Enterprise edition package:
The Database Designer and the Query Designer.

The Microsoft manual, "Visual Studio Developing for the Enterprise," clearly
states that the Enterprise edition comes with special Enterprise development
tools, which are referred to as Visual Database Tools in the manual,
numerous places.  These tools are individually referred to as the Database
Designer and the Query Designer which could only be used with  Microsoft SQL
or Oracle, but would allow unprecedented database creation and viewing
capabilities, much like an MS Access graphical front-end, but for SQL.

Well, when I install my VS, I didn't happen to have SQL on my system, so I
didn't really worry about not seeing these programs since I figured their
install program must have seen I didn't have SQL installed and so it just
didn't install those programs, despite the fact that I did a custom install
to get everything installed.

Under the Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Tools menu, you see listed
the MS Visual Modeler, the Application Performance Explorer, and the VS
Analyzer tools, among others.  The Database Designer and  the Query
Designer, which are specifically mentioned in the manual, and are also the
first thing listed as a "feature" on the back outside of the MS Visual
Studio box, are noticeably absent from this Enterprise Tools program menu.

Well, I recently received my BO 4.5 CD-ROMS, for which I am happy about, and
which I thought would resolve this issue, since I could finally install a
copy of SQL server.  I installed the Desktop edition of SQL server onto my
development system (a Win 98 box), so a missing SQL couldn't be the culprit
anymore.

I looked at re-installing the VS to see if they missing Database Designer or
Query Designer programs would show up once the SQL server was sensed by the
install program and provide me an option for installing them.  I guess I
gave the installer program way too much credit, since I only discovered that
I had already installed all there is or was to be installed.

I then went back and reviewed the MSDN Library CD-ROMs and found numerous
references to the Database Designer and Query Designer using a topic only
search.  There are menu options in FoxPro named the same, but the FoxPro
features for these is not the same as what is being referred to in the
documentation at all.  Likewise, under Visual Basic, there is an database
tool under the 'Add-ins' menu, but also, not what the documentation makes
reference to.

The bottom line:  These tools promised and documented for an Enterprise
version owner do not exist.

Can someone at Microsoft please address this issue, or someone else who has
noticed 'the case of the missing but promised tools'.

Isn't it a breach of contract for Microsoft to promise something on the
outside of the Visual Studio box, listing it as it's top distinguishing
feature no less, and then not deliver the tools promised?  What am I missing
here, besides these programs?

Regards,
Ron Jones

VS Ent. Database Designer ???

Post by Ian D Smit » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I do not believe these are separate products as such - they run from within
a development tool such as Visual Basic or Visual InterDev. Eg when you add
a data connection to a Visual Interdev project you can then use these tools
to view/update/redesign databases. They are "hidden" as menu options in the
host development environment (haven't used them from within VB but I'm sure
that if you look at the VB demo's all over the place they explain how to use
them).

Ian

VS Ent. Database Designer ???

Post by Dave Messie » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If you use Visual Basic, there is a button on the toolbar which exposes all
of the
(formerly known as) Visual Database Tools functionality.  It's a button
called
"Data View Window" and will allow you to do all types of database admin-like
work.  Hope this helps.

>I do not believe these are separate products as such - they run from within
>a development tool such as Visual Basic or Visual InterDev. Eg when you add
>a data connection to a Visual Interdev project you can then use these tools
>to view/update/redesign databases. They are "hidden" as menu options in the
>host development environment (haven't used them from within VB but I'm sure
>that if you look at the VB demo's all over the place they explain how to
use
>them).

>Ian

VS Ent. Database Designer ???

Post by Riccis Valladare » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hey Ron:

The Visual Database tools are included on the VS 6 Enterprise.  To use them
follow these steps:
    Make sure that you install Visual Interdev.
    Go to your Control Panel, select the ODBC option and create a new data
source for SQL Server. You can use one of the sample databases included with
SQL Server (Northwind or Pubs)
    Open Visual Interdev and start a new project, connect to SQL Server and
your database.
    When the database is accessed, you should be able to have an option to
view the database diagram (Accessed through the Visual Database tools)

I know it seems confusing, but if you need help, don't hesitate to email me

Good luck,
Riccis

> [...]

> search.  There are menu options in FoxPro named the same, but the FoxPro
> features for these is not the same as what is being referred to in the
> documentation at all.  Likewise, under Visual Basic, there is an database
> tool under the 'Add-ins' menu, but also, not what the documentation makes
> reference to.

> The bottom line:  These tools promised and documented for an Enterprise
> version owner do not exist.

> Can someone at Microsoft please address this issue, or someone else who
has
> noticed 'the case of the missing but promised tools'.

> Isn't it a breach of contract for Microsoft to promise something on the
> outside of the Visual Studio box, listing it as it's top distinguishing
> feature no less, and then not deliver the tools promised?  What am I

1. Power Designer vs Designer 2000

Does anyone know of any web sites that will compare Power Designer and
Designer 2000 tools.  I will be using it with SQL Server 7.  Or can
anyone recommend any better tools?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Executing .sql files from within 4GL

3. Database designer VS MS SQL Server 6.5

4. Visual Basic using Oracle

5. MSDE w/ VS Database Designer

6. datafile shrink safe method?

7. VC++ Ent or Visual Studio Ent?

8. Want to buy Delphi

9. ent msgr can see dbases but query from inside ent mgr can't

10. upgrade SQL7 ent to SQL2K ent

11. Running SQL 2000 Ent on NT 4.0 Ent

12. Standard Edition Performance Problems (Stn Ed vs Ent Ed)

13. SQL Ent Ed vs Std Ed Limitations