Page lock to simulate row level lock

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

 You can't - unless you mean setting IRL for a table - but this only works on
the last page for inserts.

 > Hey, does any one remember how to set SQL 6.5 page level lock to achieve a

Quote:> row level lock.  I thought there was a way to do this so that the lock level
> was close to a row level lock instead of a page level lock.

> Any guesses.  I know every one is probably sick of 6.5!  So are we!!!

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Page lock to simulate row level lock

Post by Steve Jorgense » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

SQL Server can do record-level locking in limited circumstances during
inserts, but other than that, you have to pad the records with dummy CHAR
fields to make them big enough to use a full page each (at least, that works
in Access, and should work in SQL Server as well).  Of course, you wouldn't
want to do this with big tables, it's pretty much only practical for batch
tables.