How to enable SQL Lazy Writes or Cache Writes?

How to enable SQL Lazy Writes or Cache Writes?

Post by Kalen Delane » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:44:41

There is an excellent reply to this in .tools.
Please do not post the same question independently to multiple newsgroups.

--
HTH
----------------

Quote:> Hi,

> I have an interactive chat program that uses MS SQL server. There are many
> writes to the disk. My ISP is complaining that his HardDrives can't handle
> it.
> Can I use some kind of cache for the writes, and flush them into the hard
> drive periodically? I heard about "Lazy Writes". How to enable them? How
> enable any kind of cache for the writes?

> Thank you in advance for your help,

> Vanessa

How to enable SQL Lazy Writes or Cache Writes?

Post by Vanessa Conno » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 04:37:32

How to get the .tools? If I don't post it everywhere, I get a reply like
yours that doesnt help at all

> There is an excellent reply to this in .tools.
> Please do not post the same question independently to multiple newsgroups.

> --
> HTH
> ----------------
> Kalen Delaney
> SQL Server MVP
> www.SolidQualityLearning.com

> > Hi,

> > I have an interactive chat program that uses MS SQL server. There are
many
> > writes to the disk. My ISP is complaining that his HardDrives can't
handle
> > it.
> > Can I use some kind of cache for the writes, and flush them into the
hard
> > drive periodically? I heard about "Lazy Writes". How to enable them? How
> > enable any kind of cache for the writes?

> > Thank you in advance for your help,

> > Vanessa

How to enable SQL Lazy Writes or Cache Writes?

Post by Laura Sona » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 05:43:32

Ah, sorry, I found it in .tools

> There is an excellent reply to this in .tools.
> Please do not post the same question independently to multiple newsgroups.

> --
> HTH
> ----------------
> Kalen Delaney
> SQL Server MVP
> www.SolidQualityLearning.com

> > Hi,

> > I have an interactive chat program that uses MS SQL server. There are
many
> > writes to the disk. My ISP is complaining that his HardDrives can't
handle
> > it.
> > Can I use some kind of cache for the writes, and flush them into the
hard
> > drive periodically? I heard about "Lazy Writes". How to enable them? How
> > enable any kind of cache for the writes?

> > Thank you in advance for your help,

> > Vanessa

How to enable SQL Lazy Writes or Cache Writes?

Post by Kalen Delane » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:28:56

.tools is just another newsgroup, under microsoft.public.sqlserver. This one
is .clustering.

It is fine to post to multiple newsgroups, if you don't know which is the
best one. But, please include all the newsgroups in  the same post, so that
replies to one will show up in all of them. The way you did it, posting
independently, someone could post a long answer in one group, not knowing
that someone else had already posted an answer in another group. This is a
waste of time for the person who answers you, because that person could
spend their time answering someone else, and it is a waste of time for you,
because you have to read each group to check to see if there is an answer in
ANY of them.

Does that make sense?

--
HTH