move sql server to brand new server

Post by crv » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:51:15

Hello there,
We are going to move the SQL server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3) to a brand new
server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3). The new server name is different from the
old server. There are microsoft project central server to run on the old
server?
How should I do to keep the PJC and other user database continue working
when I move?
Is there any documents to help me?

any ideas?
Thanks.

move sql server to brand new server

Post by Jonas Larse » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:33:45

What i did was backup all databases incl systemdb and copy the backup files
to the new server and restore them.

Regards Jonas
Good luck.

> Hello there,
> We are going to move the SQL server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3) to a brand new
> server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3). The new server name is different from the
> old server. There are microsoft project central server to run on the old
> server?
> How should I do to keep the PJC and other user database continue working
> when I move?
> Is there any documents to help me?

> any ideas?
> Thanks.

move sql server to brand new server

Post by jj » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:33:22

Thank you for your reply.

However, I encountered some problems when I restore masterDB.
On the new server,
1.set up sql7 as a single-user mode;
2.restore completely backup of masterdb; it said restore successfully and
shutting down sql server;
3.Restart sqlserver service, it said could not start the MSSQL server
service on the new server. error2140: an internal windows NT error occured.

Is there anything wrong about my steps which I have taken?
On the old server, mssql path is D: drive; On the new server, mssql path is
F: drive.

Thanks.

Josh

> What i did was backup all databases incl systemdb and copy the backup
files
> to the new server and restore them.

> Regards Jonas
> Good luck.

> > Hello there,
> > We are going to move the SQL server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3) to a brand
new
> > server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3). The new server name is different from
the
> > old server. There are microsoft project central server to run on the old
> > server?
> > How should I do to keep the PJC and other user database continue working
> > when I move?
> > Is there any documents to help me?

> > any ideas?
> > Thanks.

move sql server to brand new server

Post by Dan Ta » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:18:44

It's not that difficult, but there are some gotchas that are not usually
mentioned in documentation.   I've done it several times.
The most critical part is restoring the system databases (master and msdb).

Things to watch out for:

(1) It is MUCH easier if the SQL drive letters and directory structure on
the new machine are the same as the original machine.
When you restore the MASTER database, it will look for all of your database
files in the same physical locations as they were on your original machine.
If you don't keep the same structure, then email me, cause I've got some
steps you can follow.

(2) There is a special procedure to restore the MASTER database.  You can
find it on the Microsoft knowledge base, or in SQL Server Books Online
documentation.  Try the BOL first.

(3) Once the MASTER database is restored, your NEW server will possess the
identity of the OLD server.  To correct this, and rename the SQL Server,
re-run the SQL Server installation from the installation CD.  I think there
is a repair options, but either way, if you run the installation again, it
allows you to change the SQL server name, and it won't wipe out your
databases.

Good luck,
Dan Tan

> Hello there,
> We are going to move the SQL server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3) to a brand new
> server(NT4SP6a, IIS4, SQL7SP3). The new server name is different from the
> old server. There are microsoft project central server to run on the old
> server?
> How should I do to keep the PJC and other user database continue working
> when I move?
> Is there any documents to help me?

> any ideas?
> Thanks.

1. MOVE everything on one SQL server to a new SQL server

My real goal is to move everything over to a new server.
Can this be done?

I have SQL server 1. I want to copy everything over to SQL
server 2 (2 has better hardware and what not) If there a
easy way to do this?

I have tried the copy database wizard . .

When I run the copy database wizzard I get a lot of
errors. One of which is the Faild to copy file . . . then
it names a path that has \\SQLSERVERNAME\OMWWIZe\Path to
the files\name of the database.mdf

While It does say it has created the share OMWWIZe but for
what ever reason it can not copy the file!

Both windows2k boxes have the same administrator accounts
and the same SA accounts. I have even shared the drive
with the database on it with no-zip-zero restrictions.
ANYONE can get to the database!

-Jared

2. HELP double IDENTITY record

3. Brand new to SQL Server (simple questions)

4. Stored Procedures question

5. Moving a SQL server to a new Server

6. Massachusetts - Oracle Applications Software Engineer

7. Moving SQL Server to NEW NT4 Server

8. .NET Server and Latest Patch Access Denied

9. Moving SQL Server Data to a New Server on same network

10. Moving Sql 7.0 from old server to new server

11. Moving SQL Server 6.5 Databases/application to new Server

12. Move SQL Server 6.5 to new Server

13. restore all database to a brand new server