[ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired

[ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired

Post by Cabe » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 22:27:25

While attempting to run a query in the Enterprise manager
I often receive the folowing error message:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired
Running SQL 7 with driver version 3.70.09.61 on NT 4.0
service pack 6 Build 1381.

Is there a way to change the timeout value in the counsel?
I don't have these timout problems when running larger
queries through an ASP.

Thanks!

[ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired

Post by Nick Schueler » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:35:44

Hi Cabe
Two possibilities. First are you running MDAC 2.6 on the client?

Q300420 FIX: Connection to SQL DB Using IP Address Is Unusually Slow
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q300420

You can also increase the query time out for Enterprise manager
connections. Click the Tools menu option and choose Options. Choose the
Advanced tab. Here you will find Query timeout and Login timeout.

Nick Schueler

--------------------

| Subject: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired
| Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 05:27:25 -0800

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.odbc
|
| While attempting to run a query in the Enterprise manager
| I often receive the folowing error message:
| [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired
| Running SQL 7 with driver version 3.70.09.61 on NT 4.0
| service pack 6 Build 1381.
|
| Is there a way to change the timeout value in the counsel?
| I don't have these timout problems when running larger
| queries through an ASP.
|
| Thanks!

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

1. odbc sql server driver timeout expired sql server 7.0

I am trying to run a big query and this mesage appears after about 20 seconds..any ideas?
I increased the value of the tiomeout to the max (30000)
it is a pretty big query:
UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  CombPhone IN
        (SELECT number
      FROM dncgov.dbo.fulllist
)

customer has 140 thousand records
fulllist has 52 million records

indexes on combphone and on number
two different databases on the same server

I also tried
UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  exists         (SELECT number
      FROM dncgov.dbo.fulllist Where CombPhone = Number)

and

Select Number into #temp
 from dncgov.dbo.fulllist
 Inner Join telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
  on Number = Combphone

then

UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  exists         (SELECT number
      FROM #temp Where CombPhone = Number)

they all timeout

any ideas?

2. SQL 2k Enterprise

3. SQL 2000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

4. PDOX 7.0/Win95 New Installation; GPF w/ File/Printer Setup

5. java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

6. SQL7: How to supress the output from sp_addlogin

7. ODBC SQL Server Driver: Timeout Expired (80040e31)

8. Delphi and libraries

9. [ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

10. ?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

11. [ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired