Update query doesn't work

Post by Bharat Bhusha » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:27:28

Hi,

I have a table with more than 600,000 rows of data. I want
to transfer the data from the field Group_ to INS_GROUP1
within the same table, in such a way that at the end both
the fields have exactly the same data. I wrote the
following update query.

Update XXX Set INS_GROUP1 = Group_ where INS_GROUP1 is null

After executing for two minutes, I got the following
error..

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER driver]TimeOut expired.

On pressing OK, it stops exectuting the query further. I
have the Driver number 3.70.09.61. Any help is highly
appreciated.

Thanks
Bharat
Previous

Update query doesn't work

Post by Mumtaz Mohame » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:42:26

Hi,

Open BDE Administrator .... find the name of your ODBC Datasource, Click on
it and on the right side of the screen, you will find MAX QUERY TIME - set
it to negative one.  This should stop giving you the time out error.

Hope this helps

Regards
Mumtaz

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a table with more than 600,000 rows of data. I want
> to transfer the data from the field Group_ to INS_GROUP1
> within the same table, in such a way that at the end both
> the fields have exactly the same data. I wrote the
> following update query.

> Update XXX Set INS_GROUP1 = Group_ where INS_GROUP1 is null

> After executing for two minutes, I got the following
> error..

> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER driver]TimeOut expired.

> On pressing OK, it stops exectuting the query further. I
> have the Driver number 3.70.09.61. Any help is highly
> appreciated.

> Thanks
> Bharat
> Previous

Update query doesn't work

Post by bharat bhusha » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 05:23:53

Thanks Mumtaz,

1. ORACLE DOESN'T COMPLY TO BASIC STANDARD SQL: SIMPLE QUERIES DOESN'T WORK

ORACLE DOESN'T COMPLY TO BASIC STANDARD SQL: SIMPLE QUERIES DOESN'T WORK

BUG on all Oracle versions including 8.0.5.0.0 Oracle Server on Unix

I found it in July 1994, yes 1994 ! tested on V7 Netware, V6 SUN, V6 Dos
standalone,
it was supposed to be corrected about 2 years after on a 7.3.x version.
But now, there is still a problem on a 8.0.5.0.0 Oracle unix server.
I also tried on a 7.3.2.3.0 Oracle Unix Server (but this version was not
supposed to be fixed)

Bug on SubQueries with NOT IN operator when Full Table Scan on
SubQueries
it evaluates return value when it doesn't match to the Where Clause
and generates an error when some values are not Allowed
(you can also have such a bug if you use to_number function applied to a
column where
there are not numbers in other rows than the selected one)

Why is it so long to repair such standard SQL bugs ???

Drop table Numbers;
Create Table Numbers(nmbr number(20,4));

Drop Table IntNumbers;
Create Table IntNumbers(
        Kind char(20),
        Value Number(10));

Insert into Numbers (nmbr) values(0.1);
Insert into Numbers  (nmbr) values(0.5);
Insert into Numbers (nmbr) values(-0.125);

insert into IntNumbers (Kind,Value) values ('NEGATIVE INT', -8);
insert into IntNumbers (Kind,Value) values ('POSITIVE INT', 10);
insert into IntNumbers (Kind,Value) values ('ZERO', 0);

commit;

select 1/value from IntNumbers Where Kind='POSITIVE INT' or
Kind='NEGATIVE INT';
REM Return No Error and two lines

select nmbr from Numbers where nmbr in
        (select 1/value from IntNumbers Where Kind='POSITIVE INT' or
Kind='NEGATIVE INT') ;
REM Return No Error and two lines

select nmbr from Numbers where nmbr not in
        (select 1/value from IntNumbers Where Kind='POSITIVE INT' or
Kind='NEGATIVE INT') ;
REM return Error 1476 divisor is equal to zero and return no lines
REM should return one line and no error ???

REM     ORACLE DOESN'T COMPLY TO BASIC STANDARD SQL: SIMPLE QUERIES
DOESN'T WORK

--

http://www.pele.org
Online currency converter on http://195583.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. MAC/EXCEL/MULTIDIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS (CUBE)

3. Query works in SQL Query Analyzer but doesn't work in DTS

4. Pushing a graphics file into a VFP database

5. VB6,Access97,ADO - Update query doesn't update all records

6. JOB: US - Mountain View,CA -- Technical Support Analyst

7. Scheduling DTS doesn't fail but doesn't work

8. How handle Oracle memory on WinNT

9. UPDATE statement doesn't work...

10. updating image field doesn't work

11. UPDATE doesn't work

12. This Trigger doesn't work on multiple records update at a time

13. Performance issue : Real time update to DB is slow, SQLBindParameter doesn't work