SQL 6.5 memory in taskbar for sqlserver

Post by Adrian Hancoc » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am running SQL Server 6.5 SP5a on NT and the memory in task manager
allocated to sqlserver continually goes up and then the machine runs out of
memory. The database is hardly being accessed and the CPU is around the
40-60% in performance monitor. Any suggestion would be very benefical as I
am having to reboot the box once a day.

Thanks in advance.

SQL 6.5 memory in taskbar for sqlserver

Post by Christoph Muthman » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Adrian,
how much memory do you have in your box, and how much have you configured in
SQLServer?

Keep in mind that the configuration-parameter for the memory is in 2K. The
memory is not used immediately at startup-time, so you will see a
continually climb up.

Have a nice day,
Christoph

Quote:>I am running SQL Server 6.5 SP5a on NT and the memory in task manager
>allocated to sqlserver continually goes up and then the machine runs out of
>memory. The database is hardly being accessed and the CPU is around the
>40-60% in performance monitor. Any suggestion would be very benefical as I
>am having to reboot the box once a day.

>Thanks in advance.

1. Allocating Memory to SQLServer 6.5 & NT4

This question has probably been thrashed to death in the past but I
currently do not know the answer.

I am about to implement a large (for our company) SQL server (we are
currently using a fairly low spec. development server) and I am not sure how
SQL Server  & NT4 use memory together. I know that sp_configure adjusts the
memory made available to the SQL Server but what amount do you allocate?

Should I be leaving some to assist in the NT disk cache( if the size of the
database outgrows the physical memory installed) or by allocating it all
(bar 16Mb for the NT operating system) is the best you can do.

Any comments will be gratefully received,

Gavin Fowler
Network Supervisor

2. SQL Server 2000 functions...

3. Memory leak SQLServer 6.5 related to network changes ?

4. Remote monitoring (X tunneling via SSH)

5. SQLServer 6.5 performance and the MEMORY option

6. FP2.6 num keys not accepted

7. Error trying to increase memory on SQLServer 6.5

8. SQL Server 6.5 eating up swap memory, not real memory

9. The Increased Content after Upgrading Sqlserver 6.5 to Sqlserver 7.0

10. Running Sqlserver 6.0 and sqlserver 6.5 together

11. Interaction of JDBC Sequel Link SQLServer with SQLServer 6.5

12. Need help on connecting ISQL_w Client (from SQLServer 6.5) to SQLServer 7.0 Server