Performance Counters missing on brand new install of SQL 7

Performance Counters missing on brand new install of SQL 7

Post by Jim Turnbul » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

As the title says really. I have installed 2 new servers recently, one is it's
own PDC, the other in another domain is a member server. They both have
performance counters missing.
There were errors in the Event Log (Ev ID 1001), but I have installed SQL7 SP2
and they have now gone. I still don't get any SQL Counters though.
I have tried unlodctr/lodctr and stopped and started SQL Server.
I have also looked in the registry, and the SQL Objects are in the
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Perflib/009/Counter

I have also tried extracting the perfc009.dat and perfh009.dat from the Original
NT4 CD. It still doesn't work. I now have a sore head from banging it against
this brick wall.

I must be missing something obvious but I can't see what.

Please help.

Thanks.

Performance Counters missing on brand new install of SQL 7

Post by Jim Turnbul » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:19:21

Okay, I've fixed this now and its not ideal. Basically, somewhere along the
line, the SQL Service user needs full control of one of the registry keys.
The key in question is
HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/MSSQLServer/Performance .
The SQL Service User should only need read access, but no matter what
combination of permissions I set on the key for this user, it never works
unless it gets full control.

The reason it appears to work for most people is they either just put
Administrator as the SQL Service user at install time (not a good idea), or
they give the SQL Service User administrative rights (not a good idea).

I suspect that this is a bug in the code, as the code is just looking to see
if it has full control of the key, instead of if it has the correct access
rights to do what it needs to do. SQL Setup should have assigned the correct
permissions at install time.

I suspect this will never get fixed as it's only a minor annoyance unless
you are trying to fault find or assess the performance of your latest DB
app.

[...]

Post by Jim Turnbul » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:22:53

Further to this posting, it appears that you have to add the SQL Service
user to the local administrators group on the SQL Server otherwise their are
other things that don't work properly (e.g. SQLServerProfiler gives an error
because it can't get at some registry keys for event logging).

So, I've succumbed and added the service user to the local admins group, but
in this age of securing a system, this seems to be insecure. The service
should only get access to the things it needs and set them up at set-up
time - you shouldn't have to trawl the registry finding keys it might need!