Does Merge Replication really work?

Post by J. M. De Moo » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone have a merge replication with a pull subscription that really
works?

I have gotten past the authentication problems I posted earlier but I am no
further along in getting a simple pull subscription to work.  I follow the
wizards again and again...  I am trying to pull to a separate server
(checking that this is what the setup is doing).  However, the fail message
on pull subscription says "The database 'BthsdaPool' on server 'Ephesus'
does not exist. The step failed."  In this case Ephesus is publishing and
distribution server.  BthsdaPool is the subscription in a different server
(the one I am trying to pull into).  Why is it looking for BthsdaPool in
Ephesus???  When I change the name of BthsdaPool to match the name of the
publisher, it tells me that I can't subscribe in the publishing database.

Am I the only one who is having this problem?  The subscriber is a NT 4.0
workstation and the publisher/distributor is SBS 4.5.  Both MSSQL are 7.0
with SR-2.

Joe

Does Merge Replication really work?

Post by Michael Hote » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Have you taken a step back and tried to pull a subscription to another
database on the same server?  Can you give us a detailed list of steps (I
clicked this, then this, then this, etc.) so we can determine where the
problem is?

The answer to the other questions is absolutely.  I have merge up and
running in a lot of places under some extremely large data volumes,
extremely large transaction volumes, and with extremely large numbers of
publishers/subscribers.  It is the best replication method I have used in
the 6+ years I've been dealing with replication.  It has never blown up or
caused any problems.  I have not been able to blow it to the point where
simply stopping/starting the agent or executing a -Validate 2 didn't fix the
problem.  (I did blow it up by directly editing and corrupting the system
tables, but that doesn't count.)

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup unless otherwise stated.

SQL Server MVP
Database and Systems Director
AdOutlet.com - http://www.adoutlet.com
E-SOLUTIONS FOR THE MEDIA MARKETPLACET
SQL Server Resources: http://www.mssqlserver.com
Replication Primer: http://www.mssqlserver.com/replication
SQL Server FAQ: http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
SQL Server 2000 info: http://www.mssqlserver.com/articles

Does Merge Replication really work?

Post by J. M. De Moo » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Michael

Thank you for your response

Quote:> Have you taken a step back and tried to pull a subscription to another
> database on the same server?  Can you give us a detailed list of steps (I
> clicked this, then this, then this, etc.) so we can determine where the
> problem is?

I did post on 6/23 what I had done...essentially follow the wizards and
accept the defaults where possible.

However, something occurred to me while I was in California last week.  On
my test system I am running SBS 4.5.  I am wondering if the scaled down
version of SQL Server 7 there, which is restricted to the SBS server machine
only, is the culprit.  May be it doesn't recognize the SQL Server that
exists on the client.  What do you think?

Joe

PS. I did follow your primer on Merge Repl.  Nice and clear.  However, I
need to have a pull subscription.

1. Merge Replication-What's it really doing?

Hi,

I have push merge replication running between two 7.0 SQLServers.

I am going to redo the snapshot and subscription this weekend
to clean out MSmerge_contents, a monthly schedule.

Does anyone know of any utilities or views that I could use to see
what replication has actually been doing. I have looked at some
of the tables and SP's on the distributor but they don't make
much sense. At times replication will push out 100000 + rows
and replicate for over an hour, usually it is only a few hundred
rows an hour. I'd like to know what data has changed.

Any ideas?

**************************************
Mike Adams
M. J. Systems
(403) 249-8931

2. Accessing Paradox tables on a CD with Jet 3.0

3. Merge Replication - how does conflict resolution really work?

4. Parameterised WHERE Clause

5. Problem doing Merge replication Programmatically

6. US-OR-Portland - Oracle RDBMS $60k C C++ HP-UX Telecom

7. Merge Replication Done Event ???

8. Creating EJB via createejb

9. Problems while doing Merge Replication between SQL and Access

10. Really basic replication not working.

11. Merge Replication across multiple offices not working

12. Merge Replication works in One way / Error / MSSQL 7.0

13. Merge Replication works only one way