sql connection problems

Post by robert gourla » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:32:17

ok here is the story so far
I have created a cluster using to dell servers and a fibre storage array the
os is win2k advance
Microsoft cluster was installed with no problems
(inside these machines is 3 network cards 1 for hart beat 1 for management
and 1 for normal network. management is on 192.168.20.*  normal network is
on 10.1.1.* and the heart beat is on 10.1.1.1-2 different subnet) on top of
this sql 2000 was installed again with no problems. on the side line thay
use a program designed by them selves to connect to the sql database to read
the data which to date has worked fine.
the problem started when some one decided to change the network ip addressee
on the server cluster and on sql,s virtual drive now  for some reason this
program thay use to read the data base will only connect through the name
and not through the ip address like it did before (the original ip addresses
where all 192.168.20.* with different subnets apart from heart beat which
has stayed the same so now thay have been changed to as I said before
10.1.1.* and 192.168.20.*)

please help this is driving me mad
before the change everything worked fine thay could connect to sql virtual
server with ip and name now thay can only connect to the name.
only sign of problem is the error message server does not exist or no
permission to use it
both of which are wrong

thanks in advance :-)

sql connection problems

Post by Ashwi » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:59:28

How was the IP address for the SQL virtual server changed? Was it just
replaced in Cluster Admin?
The correct procedure for IP changes is to run SQL Setup, choose Maintain
Virtual Server and make your IP modifications. If you are able to connect by
name but not by the IP address, it clearly indicates that you have a
mismatch of name to IP either in WINS or in DNS. If you ping the name of the
virtual server, make sure it returns the correct IP you configured it for.
Run setup again to make the IP Change modifications as the changes need to
be reflected in the registry , quorum disk etc etc...

> ok here is the story so far
> I have created a cluster using to dell servers and a fibre storage array
the
> os is win2k advance
> Microsoft cluster was installed with no problems
> (inside these machines is 3 network cards 1 for hart beat 1 for management
> and 1 for normal network. management is on 192.168.20.*  normal network is
> on 10.1.1.* and the heart beat is on 10.1.1.1-2 different subnet) on top
of
> this sql 2000 was installed again with no problems. on the side line thay
> use a program designed by them selves to connect to the sql database to
read
> the data which to date has worked fine.
> the problem started when some one decided to change the network ip
addressee
> on the server cluster and on sql,s virtual drive now  for some reason this
> program thay use to read the data base will only connect through the name
> and not through the ip address like it did before (the original ip
addresses
> where all 192.168.20.* with different subnets apart from heart beat which
> has stayed the same so now thay have been changed to as I said before
> 10.1.1.* and 192.168.20.*)

> please help this is driving me mad
> before the change everything worked fine thay could connect to sql virtual
> server with ip and name now thay can only connect to the name.
> only sign of problem is the error message server does not exist or no
> permission to use it
> both of which are wrong

> thanks in advance :-)

sql connection problems

Post by robert gourla » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:59:35

thanks for the reply basicly the changes were made when the server was live and all the changes were made in the cluster administrator which i now no is the wrong thing to have done is there any way of resetting everything without loosing data on the cluster drives

1. MS-SQL connection problem

I have MS-SQL server 5.x and have been using it on and off for the
past few weeks, but all of a sudden we are having a problem connecting
to the MSSQLserver.  we have search the WWW for help and have come up
with nothing usefull - we have followed all the FAQ files and nothing
seems to work.  We can't afford to waste time uninstalling and
re-installing MS-SQL. we have ran the SQL service manager and have
stopped all services and managed to restart all of them apart from the
MSSQLServer section.

Could some one please help me as we are in a rut

Chris

2. Can PDOX4WIN 4.5 Affect CMOS Settings?

3. sql connection problem

4. Pubs and Model Database

5. SQL connection problem with XP

6. Migrating from Crystal Reports 4.6 to 5.0 Professional.

7. SP2 - IIS & SQL Connection problem

8. THIS IS WEIRD ...HELP

9. SQL connection problem under NT.

10. SQL CONNECTION PROBLEMS