What kind of hardware are you using?

Post by John T. Hopkin » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm planning a new SQL 7.0 installation and trying to decide what kind of
box I should buy.  We currently have a Compaq Proliant 1500 (P133,64 MB, 8GB
duplexed array) that will be available as soon as we migrate our Netware
users to our new NT box.  Does this sound like an acceptable platform? Or
should I go Pentium II? Multiprocessor?  What configurations are others
running?

-John T. Hopkins
JR Thompson Company

What kind of hardware are you using?

Post by Jim Duga » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The answer is going to be it depends on what you want out of it.  The specs
you listed would run SQL 7 just fine.  You should take a look at  the
"Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Performance Tuning Guide" by Henry Lau on the
Microsoft web page search for Performance Tuning and Lau
This paper will give you some hints to measure your performance to see if
you need beefed up hardware.
--
Jim Dugan

Data Warehouse Practice Manager
Spectrum Technology Group

>I'm planning a new SQL 7.0 installation and trying to decide what kind of
>box I should buy.  We currently have a Compaq Proliant 1500 (P133,64 MB,
8GB
>duplexed array) that will be available as soon as we migrate our Netware
>users to our new NT box.  Does this sound like an acceptable platform? Or
>should I go Pentium II? Multiprocessor?  What configurations are others
>running?

>-John T. Hopkins
>JR Thompson Company

What kind of hardware are you using?

Post by John T. Hopkin » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

There is also some discussion going on about using the same server to host
Exchange 5.5, IIS 4.0 and a fax solution.  Is it advisable to run all of
those apps on a single server?

>The answer is going to be it depends on what you want out of it.  The specs
>you listed would run SQL 7 just fine.  You should take a look at  the
>"Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Performance Tuning Guide" by Henry Lau on the
>Microsoft web page search for Performance Tuning and Lau
>This paper will give you some hints to measure your performance to see if
>you need beefed up hardware.
>--
>Jim Dugan

>Data Warehouse Practice Manager
>Spectrum Technology Group

>>I'm planning a new SQL 7.0 installation and trying to decide what kind of
>>box I should buy.  We currently have a Compaq Proliant 1500 (P133,64 MB,
>8GB
>>duplexed array) that will be available as soon as we migrate our Netware
>>users to our new NT box.  Does this sound like an acceptable platform? Or
>>should I go Pentium II? Multiprocessor?  What configurations are others
>>running?

>>-John T. Hopkins
>>JR Thompson Company

What kind of hardware are you using?

Post by Jim Duga » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You should look at Microsoft Small Business Server.  This comes with all of
these applications that you are referening.  Yes you can run them on the
same machine but it isn't advised.  I would look at trying to at least
offload the Exchange machine and fax solution.  I have the small business
server running on a 200 mhz pentium 2,  with no problems.

--
Jim Dugan

Data Warehouse Practice Manager
Spectrum Technology Group

>There is also some discussion going on about using the same server to host
>Exchange 5.5, IIS 4.0 and a fax solution.  Is it advisable to run all of
>those apps on a single server?

>>The answer is going to be it depends on what you want out of it.  The
specs
>>you listed would run SQL 7 just fine.  You should take a look at  the
>>"Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Performance Tuning Guide" by Henry Lau on the
>>Microsoft web page search for Performance Tuning and Lau
>>This paper will give you some hints to measure your performance to see if
>>you need beefed up hardware.
>>--
>>Jim Dugan

>>Data Warehouse Practice Manager
>>Spectrum Technology Group

>>>I'm planning a new SQL 7.0 installation and trying to decide what kind of
>>>box I should buy.  We currently have a Compaq Proliant 1500 (P133,64 MB,
>>8GB
>>>duplexed array) that will be available as soon as we migrate our Netware
>>>users to our new NT box.  Does this sound like an acceptable platform? Or
>>>should I go Pentium II? Multiprocessor?  What configurations are others
>>>running?

>>>-John T. Hopkins
>>>JR Thompson Company

What kind of hardware are you using?

Post by John T. Hopkin » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your input, Jim.  I guessed that running all 4 apps on the same
server would be a problem.  I already have the applications referred to, so
SBS isn't necessary. We've decided to go with a Proliant 3000 for SQL Server
and IIS, and use the 1500 for Exchange and faxing.  Thanks again.

-John

>You should look at Microsoft Small Business Server.  This comes with all of
>these applications that you are referening.  Yes you can run them on the
>same machine but it isn't advised.  I would look at trying to at least
>offload the Exchange machine and fax solution.  I have the small business
>server running on a 200 mhz pentium 2,  with no problems.

>--
>Jim Dugan

>Data Warehouse Practice Manager
>Spectrum Technology Group

>>There is also some discussion going on about using the same server to host
>>Exchange 5.5, IIS 4.0 and a fax solution.  Is it advisable to run all of
>>those apps on a single server?

>>>The answer is going to be it depends on what you want out of it.  The
>specs
>>>you listed would run SQL 7 just fine.  You should take a look at  the
>>>"Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Performance Tuning Guide" by Henry Lau on the
>>>Microsoft web page search for Performance Tuning and Lau
>>>This paper will give you some hints to measure your performance to see if
>>>you need beefed up hardware.
>>>--
>>>Jim Dugan

>>>Data Warehouse Practice Manager
>>>Spectrum Technology Group

>>>8GB
Or

1. What kind of database am I using???

Hello,

I 've just recently bought a compter system to control stock, and
production in our factory.

The whole package is made up of loads of single programs, (worked
through a series of menus) all written in Quick Basic 4.5.  All the
collected data is kept in .dat files which are indexed and of fixed
width and length.

My problem is, is that I would like to use a third party report writer,
as the standard reports are crap.

Could anyone tell me:

a) What type of database is this?

b) Are there any known report writers to deal with this?

E-mail replies would be magnificent.  Thanks in advance.

Daniel

From:   Daniel Shaw
        (Technical Manager)
        Turnbridge Engineering Co. Ltd. (ISO 9002 Accredited)
        CNC and General Sub-Contract Machinists
        Hutson Street, Bradford. BD5 7LZ England
        Voice:  +44 1274 737007
        Fax:    +44 1274 308286

2. How to install Management Server product?

3. what kind of hardware I need?

4. Trapping empty result set

5. What kind of hardware do I need for SQL Server

6. SQL Server Attach Database Problems

7. What kind of machine am I on?

8. OT:Newbie:Identity

9. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using

10. some kind of time out when Updating using asp

11. A problem when I connect many kinds of Database Using ADO

12. What kinds of technologies should be used to implement a distributed reporting system