Unable to Connect from SQL 2000 to Analysis Server

Unable to Connect from SQL 2000 to Analysis Server

Post by Jeff Carringto » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:07:31

I have a server that has Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  I installed SQL Server 2000 and Analysis Server.  I then applied service pack 1 for both products.  I used a domain admin NT account to run both the SQL engine and the SQL agent.  I have also used the same NT account to run the OLAP service.
  The problem I get is trying to run a sample query that pulls an OPENROWSET from the analysis server:

SELECT a.* FROM OpenRowset('MSOLAP','DATASOURCE=LocalServer; USER ID=; PASSWORD=;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000;',
'SELECT Measures.members ON ROWS,
 [Product Category].members ON COLUMNS
 FROM [Sales]') as a
go

The error message states that Access Denied.  However when I use another SQL Server's Query Analyzer to run the above query, it runs successfully.  (I am hitting the same/original Analysis server listed above.)  I have examined the configuration of both SQL Servers and can not see any differences.
Why does one SQL Server work and the other fail?

Unable to Connect from SQL 2000 to Analysis Server

Post by Hai-Wei » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:01:02

Hi Jeff,

With which account you have used to logon SQL in Query Analyzer, sa or NT
Integrated? If it's NT integrated, does it have the permission in OLAP?

You assume all risk for your use.
Copy Right, 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Regards,
Haiwei Xu
Microsoft Support Engineer

Unable to Connect from SQL 2000 to Analysis Server

Post by Jeff Carringto » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:35:34

The account I use is an NT auth account.  I connect to QA using windows authentication.  It is a member of the OLAP Administrators group and is also a system administrator on SQL Server.
 Thanx for your help...
Jeff

1. SQL Server 2000 - Connecting to a remote analysis server

Hi,

I'm attempting to connect to a remote analysis server and get the error
"Cannot connect to the repository. Error: Cound not use "; file already in
use."

My local machine and the server I'm trying to connect to both have SQL
Server 2000 SP3 and Win2k (also with latest updates). My user is also set up
as an OLAP administrator on both machines.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Jon

2. Nontrivial SQL

3. SQL Server 2000 - connecting to a remote analysis server

4. traverse a tree

5. Can not connect to SQL Server 2000 Analysis Service running on Windows Nt

6. How old is Progress?

7. Renaming SQL 2000 Analysis Server then cannot connect

8. PICK/Unidata Programmer Needed - Texas

9. Unable to Connect to a Sql Server 2000 behind Firewall

10. Unable Connect BDE 5 to SQL SERVER 2000

11. Unable to connect to QA (SQL 2000) via Terminal Server

12. SQL Server 2000 sqlsvr32.dll unable to connect to Sybase DB

13. Unable to connect to remote SQL server from Windows 2000 machine