transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

Post by siew onn, wa » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

How about use Enterprise Manager to set the database option to truncate
the log upon check point?

> I converted a DOS database (DataEase) to SQL the data size was about
> 300 MB it is currently still running in the DOS environment using a
> ODBC / SQL connector. It's stable and has eliminated the need to
> reindex and the corruption problems it had is gone. We are pretty much
> happy with the performance only thing is every 30 days or so the
> transaction log fills and has to be dumped is there a way I can
> eliminate this problem or set it to dump automatically

transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

Post by Elliott Mehrbac » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

How do you dump the tansaction log once it is filled? Is there a way to turn
off transaction logging altogether?

>How about use Enterprise Manager to set the database option to truncate
>the log upon check point?

>> I converted a DOS database (DataEase) to SQL the data size was about
>> 300 MB it is currently still running in the DOS environment using a
>> ODBC / SQL connector. It's stable and has eliminated the need to
>> reindex and the corruption problems it had is gone. We are pretty much
>> happy with the performance only thing is every 30 days or so the
>> transaction log fills and has to be dumped is there a way I can
>> eliminate this problem or set it to dump automatically

transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> How do you dump the tansaction log once it is filled?

DUMP TRAN dbname WITH NO_LOG

Quote:> Is there a way to turn
> off transaction logging altogether?

No.
--

MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Generally the log is truncated then you backup it (DUMP TRAN).

You can set SQL Server to automatically truncate the log every minute.
Check out the "Trunc. log on checkpoint" database flag.
I strongly recomment that your go through the backup chapters in
Administrators Companion to understand the implications of doing this
(generally not recommended).
--

MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

Quote:> I converted a DOS database (DataEase) to SQL the data size was about