DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Post by Bobb » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:55:16

Hi,

please can someone help as this is very urgent. I have a web server behind a
firewall which is trying to access a SQL server on our internal network. I
am using an application DSN on the SQL server (given IP Address as SQL
server name) but when the web pages try to access the SQL Server i get the
error message:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not
found.

So i tried to create a system DSN on the web server (local DSN) but get the
same error when testing the connection.

Does any particular port have to be opened for this to work? i can ping the
SQL server from the web server.

Thanks
Bobbi

DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Post by Laure » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:21:10

sql server uses port 1403 or something (cant remember the exact one) so i
guess that should be open thru the firewall

Quote:> Hi,

> please can someone help as this is very urgent. I have a web server behind
> firewall which is trying to access a SQL server on our internal network. I
> am using an application DSN on the SQL server (given IP Address as SQL
> server name) but when the web pages try to access the SQL Server i get the
> error message:

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not
> found.

> So i tried to create a system DSN on the web server (local DSN) but get
the
> same error when testing the connection.

> Does any particular port have to be opened for this to work? i can ping
the
> SQL server from the web server.

> Thanks
> Bobbi

DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Post by Norm Lang » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:43:51

It also sounds like you are using Named Pipes, which is not routeable, you
might want to restrict the server to the TCP/IP protocol.

Good luck!

--
Norm Lange,
Senior Programmer/Analyst,

Quote:> Hi,

> please can someone help as this is very urgent. I have a web server behind
> firewall which is trying to access a SQL server on our internal network. I
> am using an application DSN on the SQL server (given IP Address as SQL
> server name) but when the web pages try to access the SQL Server i get the
> error message:

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not
> found.

> So i tried to create a system DSN on the web server (local DSN) but get
the
> same error when testing the connection.

> Does any particular port have to be opened for this to work? i can ping
the
> SQL server from the web server.

> Thanks
> Bobbi

DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Post by Bobb » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:47:24

I was using port 1433 which is for SQL but was still getting the same
problem. I also had set TCP as the protocol but in the end it was related to
setting the ODBC and configuring the System DSN as well

Bobbi

DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Post by Andrey Pridni » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:47:03

Hi Bobby,

probably you need to configure network client on the machine accessing SQL
server.

In the ODBC data source administrator program go to Client configuration and
set up connection to the server.

Andrey.

Quote:> Hi,

> please can someone help as this is very urgent. I have a web server behind

Quote:> firewall which is trying to access a SQL server on our internal network. I
> am using an application DSN on the SQL server (given IP Address as SQL
> server name) but when the web pages try to access the SQL Server i get the
> error message:

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not
> found.

> So i tried to create a system DSN on the web server (local DSN) but get

the

Quote:> same error when testing the connection.

> Does any particular port have to be opened for this to work? i can ping

the
Quote:> SQL server from the web server.

> Thanks
> Bobbi

DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Post by User » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:00:46

You should also stay away from named pipes. They are evil

> Hi Bobby,

> probably you need to configure network client on the machine accessing SQL
> server.

> In the ODBC data source administrator program go to Client configuration
and
> set up connection to the server.

> Andrey.

> > Hi,

> > please can someone help as this is very urgent. I have a web server
behind

> > firewall which is trying to access a SQL server on our internal network.

> > am using an application DSN on the SQL server (given IP Address as SQL

> > server name) but when the web pages try to access the SQL Server i get
the

> > error message:

> > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

> > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not

> > found.

> > So i tried to create a system DSN on the web server (local DSN) but get
> the

> > same error when testing the connection.

> > Does any particular port have to be opened for this to work? i can ping
> the

> > SQL server from the web server.

> > Thanks

> > Bobbi

1. DSN from remote SQL server to web server behind a firewall

Hi,

please can someone help as this is very urgent. I have a web server behind a
firewall which is trying to access a SQL server on our internal network. I
am using an application DSN on the SQL server (given IP Address as SQL
server name) but when the web pages try to access the SQL Server i get the
error message:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not
found.

So i tried to create a system DSN on the web server (local DSN) but get the
same error when testing the connection.

Does any particular port have to be opened for this to work? i can ping the
SQL server from the web server.

Thanks
Bobbi

2. recreating a SQL 6.5 database from a device file

3. How to connect remote SQL 2000 Server Behind firewall

4. RAID experience/recommendations

5. Access a remote MS SQL 2000 Server behind a firewall

6. Security and Web Application Server

7. DSN to remote SQL7 behind firewall

8. Help-Record Locking!

9. ideas for database server behind firewall for web use

10. Hitting SQL Server Behind a Firewall

11. Connecting to SQL server behind a firewall

12. Connecting to a SQL server by IP Address that is behind a firewall

13. Unable to Connect to a Sql Server 2000 behind Firewall